Tender Mongolian Meatballs are not only FILLED with Asian flavour — they are smothered in the BEST homemade Mongolian sauce to wow your guests!
Since first publishing these cocktail meatballs in 2016, readers all over the world have been writing in to tell us how much they love this cocktail meatball recipe!
Well, I couldn’t leave you without a fire cracker of an appetiser, AND these Mongolian Glazed Meatballs are everything! This is my second last post for 2016, and it can’t get any better than THIS!
When I first shared our recipe for Mongolian Beef And Broccoli, so many of you guys wrote in to tell me all about how much you loved the flavours of the sauce; so this recipe happening was a no brainer. And, as it so happens, after a worldwide search on Google, this is another original Cafe Delites idea and recipe!
HOW TO MAKE MEATBALLS
First, you’re going to make your meatballs with simple and easy to find ingredients. THEN, you’re going to start a little production line: someone spooning the meat and someone rolling the meatballs. This way, you’re done in 5 minutes.
The meatballs take 10-15 MINUTES to bake! That’s it? YES! And THEN, while they’re baking, you’re going to make the BEST Mongolian-style sauce *slash* glaze to coat your meatballs. By the time they’re done, it’s just a matter of coating and serving.
These Mongolian Glazed Meatballs were ready so fast I didn’t know what to do with myself afterwards. May have made a special brunch beverage for you all — coming tomorrow — which will be the last post of 2016. No better way to end the year than with a delicious alcoholic beverage. Am I right?
MORE APPETIZER RECIPES
Crab Dip Stuffed Mushrooms
Baked Brie Bites
Sweet and Sour Cocktail Meatballs
Spinach Artichoke Dip with Bacon
Chili Lime Texas Caviar
Baked Shrimp Scampi
Crispy Chicken Tenders
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Mongolian Glazed Meatballs
Another ORIGINAL Cafe Delites idea and recipe!
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
- 2 pounds | 1 kilogram ground beef mince (or pork, chicken, turkey)
- 3/4 cup Panko or breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing (Chinese) wine*
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 cup thinly-sliced or chopped green onions (4 green onions)
- Kosher salt and pepper , to taste
FOR THE MONGOLIAN GLAZE:
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 cloves (or 1 tablespoon) garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon minced ginger
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ⅔ cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper (or ½-1 tablespoon red chilli / powder)
- Sesame seeds
- 1 green onion , finely sliced
- Preheat oven to 200°C | 400°F.
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
- Mix together all of the meatball ingredients in a large bowl until well-combined. Spoon out 1-inch of meat mixture with a cookie scoop (or tablespoon), shape into balls and place onto 2 large baking sheets or trays lined with baking or parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden browned and cooked through.
- While the meatballs are baking, make your sauce!
FOR THE SAUCE:
- Heat a non-stick pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk ALL of the sauce ingredients together in the pan until well blended. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking until sauce thickens, while stirring occasionally to prevent burning or sticking on the bottom of the pan (about 8 minutes).
- When meatballs have finished cooking, add half of the meatballs into the pan and gently coat each meatball generously and evenly in the sauce. Transfer the glazed meatballs to a serving dish or tray with a slotted spoon and add in the remaining non-coated meatballs to the sauce. Coat and transfer to serving dish.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced green onions (if desired), and serve warm with toothpicks or mini forks.