Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders soaked in lemon garlic flavours. Coated in a golden parmesan Panko crumb creates an addictive crunch! No flour needed!
Succulent, juicy oven fried Chicken Tenders dipped in honey mustard sauce are popular with kids, adults, and make the perfect finger food. No mess… no fuss, with an irresistible golden crumb!
This crispy, baked chicken tenders recipe has been in our family for years. An adaption from YOUR favourite Lemon Parmesan Garlic Chicken Milanese recipe, our oven fried chicken tenders are a favourite for everyone who tries them! They tick ALL the boxes:
- Easy to find ingredients.
- Simple steps.
- Oven baked with a deep fried TASTE.
- Minimal mess.
- The best homemade chicken tenders.
Who says you have to stand around the stove deep frying crumbed chicken tenders with oil splattering all over the place? Not me.
WHAT ARE CHICKEN TENDERS?
Chicken tenders are the narrow, strip of meat loosely attached to the underside of chicken breasts. They taste exactly the same as breast meat, but are juicy and tender when cooked properly.
Tenders can be pulled gently from a breast, or find them sold separately at your supermarket/butcher.
HOW DO YOU MAKE HOMEMADE CHICKEN TENDERS?
Our chicken tenders recipe kicks off using an egg wash marinade mixed with garlic, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper and a splash of oil. The oil mixed through the egg wash is our secret weapon, guaranteeing juicy meat with a crispy end result.
I suggest letting them marinate in the egg wash for half an hour to an hour, or overnight if time allows. If not, don’t worry! They are still incredible and full flavoured without marinating.
You’ll also notice we don’t use flour in our breading, and you won’t miss it. The chicken tenders are coated with a parmesan breadcrumb mixture seasoned with garlic and onion powders. This gives you just as much flavour on the outside to match all of the flavours happening on the inside.
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN TENDERS IN THE OVEN?
Lightly grease a baking sheet or tray with nonstick cooking oil spray. You can also use a sheet of paper towel dipped in oil to wipe over the surface of the baking sheet, or use a pastry brush.
Arrange crumbed chicken tenders on the baking sheet, then lightly spray them with a cooking oil spray, (I suggest using an olive oil spray for the best results). This is what makes them SUPER CRISPY without the need to deep fry!
HOW LONG DO YOU COOK CHICKEN TENDERS AT 400°F (200°C)?
Bake chicken tenders for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for a further 5-10 minutes so that they evenly brown on both sides. You can also broil them in the last 2-3 minutes for that irresistible golden crumb.
HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE
Serve baked chicken tenders with a no fuss honey mustard sauce made with only 3 ingredients! Whole egg mayo, Dijon mustard and honey. You can throw in a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of white vinegar for a little something extra.
You can also dip oven fried chicken tenders in my Honey Garlic Butter Sauce!
Juicy, tender, moist, soft — all of those. PLUS crispy. It’s a win win!
Love Oven Fried Chicken? Try these recipes!
Love Honey Mustard Chicken? Try these recipes!
Crispy Lemon Garlic Parmesan Chicken Tenders
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or juice of 1/2 a lemon)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt to season
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 28 ounces (800 g) chicken tenders
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup regular breadcrumbs (garlic, herb or Italian seasoned for extra flavour)
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika (or sweet, smoky, spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly grease a baking tray / sheet with cooking oil spray, or a light coating of oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Dip chicken tenders into egg mixture and let sit for 5 minutes while preparing crumb mixture. OPTIONAL: Cover and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour (if time allows).*
- In another bowl, combine both breadcrumbs, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and parmesan cheese.
- Dredge the egg coated chicken in the breadcrumb/parmesan mixture, lightly pressing to evenly coat.
- Arrange tenders on the baking sheet / tray and lightly spray with cooking oil spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for a further 5-10 minutes or until cooked through. (Broil in the last 2-3 minutes for a golden crispy crumb!)
HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE
- 1/2 cup of a whole egg mayo
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup of honey