Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Cordon Bleu is a complete dinner for the entire family! Crispy crumbed chicken breasts filled with Dijon mustard, Swiss cheese and ham, baked with vegetables and served with an incredible Dijon Cream Sauce for the ultimate restaurant feel right at home!
Sheet Pan Chicken Cordon Bleu & Dijon Cream Sauce
A classic Chicken Cordon Bleu can be quite intimidating to make with so many steps involved just in the preparation alone! Flattening breasts, making sure breasts are evenly measured and thin enough to be rolled, layered with cheese and ham, rolling them up, frying, then baking, THEN MAKING A SAUCE! With my version, however, this Chicken Cordon Bleu still has ALL of the flavours, with half of the effort, PLUS the added bonus of veggies being cooked on the same pan! Bake straight from the get-go for a healthier than the usual deep fried version, OR fry first if you want to go ALL OUT! I’m sure you will love this Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe!
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SAUCE! ↑
HOW TO MAKE A SHEET PAN CHICKEN CORDON BLEU!
With my recipe, I’m giving you two options, as I mentioned above. Before you get to cooking, decide on one of these options that best suits your needs: what’s the occasion and who you are cooking for.
- Frying in a skillet first to get a nice, golden crumb before baking. If you’re nervous with the outcome of baking crumbed chicken and prefer the colour and flavour of fried chicken — healthy or not — then this version is for you. Colour, crispness and flavour is unbeatable in fried chicken. I won’t argue!
- No frying. Healthier, just as tasty, with minimal steps. With this version, you are still going to get a crispy, golden crumb on your chicken cordon bleu, but without the hassle and mess of using a skillet to do it with. How, you may be asking? Coating your chicken with a good amount of cooking oil spray. Now, some may argue that this is just as worse as deep frying, hence the two options.
If you’re not comfortable with deep frying OR using cooking oil spray? Well, you are more than welcome to bake your chicken exactly how you’d like too! It’s completely up TO YOU!
Once you’ve decided on your option, you’re going to:
- Season your chicken and slice a pocket into each breast! No flattening or rolling over here! Stuff them, seal them, dip them then dredge them in your breadcrumb mixture. (I found a mixture of Panko and seasoned breadcrumbs worked the best for the overall result. If you want to just use one or the other instead of both, go for it!)
- Arrange your pre-fried chicken, OR raw, breaded chicken in the centre of your baking sheet.
- Prepare your veggies! I used broccoli and cauliflower for this sheet pan meal, however, you can use carrots, green beans, zucchini, or any other vegetable you like! If using potatoes, I suggest cutting them into 1-inch cubes to ensure they are cooked right through. If your sheet pan is too small? Use another pan for your veggies!
- BAKE! Put your feet up for a good 15 minutes while the oven does the work for you! In the last 10 minutes, make your incredible, thick and creamy Dijon sauce, ready for serving.
LOOKING FOR MORE SHEET PAN IDEAS?
Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Cordon Bleu & Dijon Cream Sauce for the win!
Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Cordon Bleu
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 4 small chicken breasts, (skinless and boneless )
- salt and pepper (to season)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, (divided)
- 4 teaspoons dijon mustard (divided)
- 6 slices Swiss cheese (halved (or Jarlsberg))
- 4 slices ham
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs*
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs*
- 2 cups broccoli florets** ((add more if desired -- or another veg))
- 2 cups cauliflower florets** ((add more if desired -- or another veg))
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, (fresh grated (OPTIONAL))
FOR THE DIJON CREAM SAUCE (OPTIONAL):
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, (crushed or minced)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk, (2%, skim or full cream)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chicken or vegetable stock powder
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, (fresh grated)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, (optional, for garnish)
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Arrange shelf to the middle of your oven. Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Spray a large baking sheet with non stick cooking oil spray. Set aside.
- Season chicken breast with salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. Slice a pocket into the largest side of each breast.
- Spread the inside of each pocket with 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard per breast. Place 3 cheese halves and one slice of ham slice into each breast. Fold the edges of the chicken to cover the filling and seal with toothpicks.
- In one shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. In another bowl, add the Panko and the seasoned breadcrumbs; mixing them well. Dip each breast into the egg wash first and then dredge in the breadcrumbs to fully coat.
OPTION ONE: FRY FIRST THEN BAKE
- Add enough oil to cover the base of a frying pan. Fry the chicken in batches of two, for ABOUT 4 minutes each side, until the crumbs are golden (it doesn't matter if the chicken is not cooked through, you will continue baking in the oven).
- Once golden browned, use tongs to arrange chicken in the middle of the baking sheet. Continue with VEG.
OPTION TWO: BAKE ALL THE WAY
- After breading, arrange chicken in the middle of the baking sheet and spray generously with cooking oil spray, completely soaking the crumbs (this helps the crumbs turn a nice golden brown colour during baking). Continue with VEG.
- Add the broccoli and cauliflower into a bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt, pepper and the remaining 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Mix well with your hands.
- Arrange the vegetables around the chicken on the baking sheet (if you don't have enough room for the vegetables, use a second baking sheet). Sprinkle the vegetables with 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese (If desired).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is golden and cooked through, and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove toothpicks from the chicken and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving with the Dijon Cream Sauce.
FOR THE DIJON CREAM SAUCE (OPTIONAL):
- While chicken is in the oven: Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Reduce heat down to low, whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add half the milk and whisk until the flour mixture is smooth and blended.
- Add remaining milk, mustard, stock powder and parmesan, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes while whisking until thickened. Keep in mind the sauce with continue to thicken as it cools. Add in extra milk only if needed, in 1-2 tablespoonful increments, until reaching your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the parsley, if desired. Serve with chicken and veg.