Crispy Baked Shrimp Scampi is easy to make with a fancy restaurant flair right at home, and takes only minutes to prepare!
Oven baked shrimp SCAMPI topped with flavourful golden, buttery, garlic parmesan breadcrumbs. This Baked Shrimp Scampi recipe has been adapted from Ina Garten, one of my favourite food women. Dying to try her recipe but scared of the amount of butter involved, I managed to cut the butter down by less than a third! How? Adding other flavours into the breadcrumb mixture to make sure butter is not missed in this recipe.
Crispy Baked Shrimp Scampi
So easy to make, you won’t believe the flavours coming out of your skillet OR dish when it’s done! How fitting it is to be beachfront with a glass of rosé, writing up a post about shrimp. It does not get any better.
This version still has a good amount of buttery flavour in it without being in complete fear of busting out of your jeans. Also, I’ve cut a couple of steps out of the original recipe, creating something a little more easier for those of us finding ourselves out of breath!
HOW TO BAKE SHRIMP SCAMPI
Shrimp gets mixed right in your skillet or baking dish with some key ingredients
- Lemon juice
- White wine.
As usual, the white wine is optional and can be replaced with chicken stock, extra lemon juice or left out completely. Up to you.
Using Panko breadcrumbs guarantee a better texture when compared with regular breadcrumbs, but you can use what you have on hand.
I mixed breadcrumbs with parmesan cheese, garlic and a hint of red pepper flakes for a slight taste bud awakening. You can of course add more to suit your taste!
WATCH US MAKE IT RIGHT HERE!
Crispy Baked Shrimp Scampi
- 1 kg (2 pounds) shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails on or off
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine (optional -- sub with extra lemon juice or chicken stock
- 1 brown shallot, minced
- 1/3 cup melted butter, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or more, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley leaves
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Heat oven to 220°C | 425º F. In a well-seasoned oven-proof skillet or baking dish, combine the shrimp, lemon juice, white wine, shallots, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix well until the shrimp are evenly coated
- OPTIONAL: Starting from the outer edge of your skillet or dish, arrange the shrimp in a single layer towards the centre of the pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining melted butter, bread crumbs, garlic, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and 2 tablespoons of the chopped parsley; mix well.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the shrimp and bake for 12 minutes, or until hot and bubbling, and the shrimp are 'just' cooked through. Change oven settings to broil or grill for a further minute or so, until the top is crispy and golden.
- Garnish with remaining parsley, squeeze over a drizzle of lemon juice and serve with lemon wedges.