Creamy Shrimp Pasta in a garlic, parmesan cream sauce is an easy weeknight dinner!
Not only is this Creamy Shrimp Pasta easy to make, it’s filled with so much flavour. The kids love it too, which is a huge bonus at the dinner table.
Our creamy shrimp pasta recipe has been a long reader favourite for many years.
After the popularity of my Lightened Up Chicken Carbonara, of course you needed more!
This creamy Alfredo-inspired recipe has NO HEAVY CREAM. And the best part? You would NEVER KNOW! Using a secret weapon I’ve been using for years, this recipe will trick any creamy sauce lover.
How to make Creamy Shrimp Pasta
- While your pasta as boiling, you’re going to start your sauce. This ensures the pasta and sauce are both ready at the same time, and your pasta won’t end up a clumped together ball of dough and cold.
- I use linguine for this recipe, but you can use fettuccini or spaghetti. Even penne is good in this!
- Don’t forget to reserve your pasta water! That’s where the magic continues and helps the sauce stay super thick and creamy.
- Fry your mushrooms in garlic and onion, then the shrimp are cooked in the same pan with the leftover pan juices from the mushrooms.
Shrimp pasta on your dinner table in minutes!
Once shrimp is cooked and transferred to a plate, continue with the sauce. This is where the magic happens, by cooking cream cheese together with milk.
You may notice a few lumps after a couple of minutes of simmering, but don’t worry. Once everything is added back into the pan along with the reserved starchy pasta water you will end up with a silky smooth sauce.
You will love this Shrimp Pasta recipe.
The entire family have absolutely no idea this Shrimp Pasta is lower in fat. No.idea.people.
More cream cheese recipes!
Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken Thighs
Lightened Up Chicken Carbonara
Julia Child’s Creamy Chicken + Mushroom (Lightened Up)
WATCH HOW WE MAKE Creamy Shrimp Pasta RIGHT HERE!
Creamy Shrimp Pasta
- 12 ounces (350 grams)linguine pasta (dry weight)
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 ounces (250 g) sliced brown mushrooms
- 1 pound 500 grams fresh shrimp (prawns) without shells, washed and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to suit your tastes)
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika (or smokey)
- Salt to season
- 8 ounces (250 g) pack cream cheese at room temperature (low fat or fat free are fine to use)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup light Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Salt to season, if desired
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, to garnish
- Cook pasta according to package instructions in a pot of salted boiling water; drain and rinse reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Set it aside for later.
- While pasta is boiling, heat a large frying pan/skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the pan and fry half of the garlic for about 30 seconds; add the onions, and continue sautéing until soft. Add the mushrooms and fry while occasionally stirring, until the mushrooms have browned. Stir through 1-2 tablespoons of water and cook them for a further minute (they will create a beautiful gravy with their natural juices). Transfer mushrooms to a plate and set it aside (keep any liquid leftover in the pan).
- To the same pan, add the remaining oil. Saute remaining garlic until fragrant. Add the shrimp and cook until they just begin to change colour. Add the pepper flakes, paprika and salt.
- Cook while occasionally stirring for a further 1-2 minutes to combine all the flavours in the pan, Add the mushrooms to the pan, stirring them through the flavours in the pan. Transfer the shrimp/mushroom mixture to the same plate the mushrooms were on.
- Add the cream cheese and milk to the same pan and bring to a gentle simmer while stirring occasionally, while breaking up the cream cheese. (Don't worry if it's lumpy. The more it simmers, the more it turns into a creamier consistency.) Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, then add the cheeses. Once the cheese has melted through, taste test and season with a little salt (if needed.)
- Add the shrimp/mushroom mix along with the pasta into the creamy sauce, stirring everything through for a further 2 minutes on low heat. Add the reserved pasta water -- 1/4 cup at a time -- only if needed or until reaching your desired consistency.
- Garnish with parsley and serve!
Are the calories per serving or for the whole meal
I was so pleased to find this recipe with no cream. I just use what I have on hand. Not only was this dish not complicated, it was delicious. I was informed that this one is a keeper and he’s not easy to please. Next time I’ll up the red pepper flakes a little (personal preference) but it was great as written. Thank you.
Phillip Smith says
When do you add the parmesan and mozzarella?
with the cream cheese —watch the video
Can you use almond milk in place of regular 2%?
SOOOO bomb! Is like an Alfredo sauce with a kick. Perfect with the shrimpies. We used 1 lb of thin spaghetti. YUM
Portia Cole says
My family loved it!
Beverly Wolfe says
Can you use cooked shrimp?
I’m sos prey to ask. What brand of the Milk you use for the pasta? Hope to hear from you please.
Can this freeze afterwards?
Viranki G says
Made this for dinner last night Absolute perfection. I ended up adding chillie flakes, pepper and capsicum as well. It was heavenly. Thanks
My son (10 yrs) made this with supervision and we loved it! We’re from Edinburgh, UK and love these recipes. Thanks and keep them coming!
This was delicious! Even better the second day. Thanks for a great recipe that’s easy and very impressive.
You’re welcome Bev. I’m so happy to hear that!
This recipe was delicious and SUPER easy!! I used Frigo 3 Italian Cheeses in place of the Parm & Mozz. I also didn’t add the onion as my family isn’t a fan of it. I omitted the red pepper flakes & the paprika. This will DEFINITELY be made again. I prepared it for company, & we ate the entire dish!
My small family favourite is meat balls in tomato salsa but this one is worth of trying and changing the top list. Thank you !
My mouth is watering! I’m trying this tonight! Thanks for the ifea$!!
I made this today and it was absolutely delicious!!! Me and my son loved it! Will deffo be making it again. Thanks for sharing this!
I’m so happy to hear that Talitha! Thank you for sharing that with me!
Lucy @ Globe Scoffers says
This looks delicious! I don’t think i’ve ever had prawn and mushroom before in pasta, but after seeing this dish I’m going to give it ago.thanks for sharing!
Claire | Sprinkles and Sprouts says
I am in love! This looks amazing!!!!
Prawns are one of my utter favourites and I love the idea of rich and creamy but healthier. Win Win!
Will be trying this in the next view weeks. PINNED!!!
aw that’s awesome! I hope you enjoy it and demolish it like we did….Please let me know how you go! I’d love to hear back… Enjoy! Xx