Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken Thighs is a low carb reader favourite. Deliciously creamy, easy to make and ALL made in ONE SKILLET!
Low carb, filled with fresh spinach, artichokes, parmesan cheese and a good kick of garlic, Spinach Artichoke Chicken Thighs is an irresistible chicken recipe. Using bone in chicken thighs, this low carb (Keto) dinner recipe will stay in your mind long after you’ve tried it.
Spinach Artichoke Chicken Thighs
Your favourite spinach and artichoke dip simmered with bone in chicken thighs. How did this come to be? Honestly, I don’t know. All I wanted was creamy chicken and something magical happened in the kitchen.
Incredible spinach and artichoke dip flavours combine to make one of the beast creamy chicken recipes I have on cafedelites. And I have some good ones. Take this spinach artichoke stuffed chicken in a parmesan sauce, for example.
The best part is that cream!
- A super thick and rich cream made with cream cheese to stay faithful to your classic spinach artichoke dip — absolutely incredible.
- NO thickened cream or heavy cream needed, but just as good as those sauces.
How To Make Spinach Artichoke Chicken
As usual, this chicken recipe is SO easy to make. You can make it with bone in or boneless chicken thighs. You can also sub thighs for chicken breasts if you prefer white meat.
You’re going to start by:
Seasoning your chicken thighs. I only use salt and pepper in this as the sauce is already rich and absorbs into the chicken while simmering. Feel free to use dried herbs, paprika, garlic powder, or other seasonings.
Sear until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes each side to start the flavours off in the pan. (They will finish cooking in the oven.)
How To Make The Sauce
Cream cheese is added in and heated until it begins to melt down, becoming easier to work with and thinner in consistency. While it is heating, I usually break it down with the end of a wooden spoon to speed up the process. You can use heavy or thickened cream instead of you prefer, but the flavour of cream cheese is amazing in this.
Simmer until your sauce thickens enough to coat the back of your spoon. It takes about 5 minutes to thicken.
Stir through artichokes ( I use canned/marinated artichokes) and fresh baby spinach leaves.
Finish it off in the oven until chicken is completely cooked through!
What to serve with Spinach Artichoke Chicken
If not watching carb intake, serve over rice or your pasta of choice.
For low carb options, I love this with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
Spinach Artichoke Chicken On Video! A very old video ?
Love Creamy Chicken? Try these recipes!
Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken Thighs
- 6 skinless chicken thighs bone-in/boneless (or breast fillets)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 8 ounces (250 g) cream cheese (full fat or reduced fat)
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock (broth)
- 14 oz canned artichoke hearts in brine drained and roughly chopped
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves washed
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and cracked black pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Sear chicken for 3-4 minutes each side until crisp and golden. Drain most of the excess fat, leaving about 1 tablespoon for flavour.
- Sauté garlic until fragrant (30 seconds), then add cream cheese. Occasionally stir while breaking it up with the end of your wooden spoon until it begins to melt and become thinner in consistency.
- Pour in the chicken broth; bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until sauce thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in artichokes and spinach. Simmer until the spinach has just started to wilt and add the parmesan cheese. Taste test and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Place skillet into preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until completely cooked through.