Buffalo Chicken Dip is a sinfully creamy and mouthwatering appetizer infused with hot wing flavours! Perfect comfort food for any special occasion.
With a hint of butter and garlic, our creamy Buffalo chicken dip recipe is a stand out hit wherever you serve it. Using rotisserie chicken to beat cooking times, it doesn’t get any easier than this one!
BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
With the growing popularity of our incredibly crispy Buffalo Wings, we wanted to give you another buffalo chicken recipe. Our dip has been created especially for one of our most favourite and beloved readers, Lorelai… Buffalo Wing fan numero UNO! I hope you LOVE IT Lorelai! An American classic made with love just for you.
WHAT GOES IN BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
- Frank’s Original Red Hot Sauce
- Sour cream. You can also use Ranch dressing
- Block of cream cheese: use Philly (not spreadable)
- Cheddar cheese: I love a white cheddar and American cheddar combination. You can use sharp cheddar, Colby-Jack cheese or a Tex-Mex blend.
- Blue cheese is OPTIONAL for serving. If you’re not a fan, you can leave it out.
- Sliced green onions (can sub with chives).
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST DIP
SOFTEN CREAM CHEESE close to room temperature. Take it out of the refrigerator for a good 20-30 before cooking. It will continue to soften once added to the hot skillet.
USE PRECOOKED (ROTISSERIE) CHICKEN. Shred and pull apart with two forks or cut into cubes.
CAST-IRON SKILLET. This recipe prepares and bakes your dip in a cast-iron skillet or oven-proof pan. If you don’t have either of those, prepare all ingredients as per recipe instructions in a regular pan on the stove, then transfer buffalo dip mixture into a 1-quart (1-litre) baking dish and continue from there.
ADJUST SPICE LEVEL. Our Buffalo dip recipe is not too spicy and kids love it. However, you can HALVE the hot sauce amount for a milder dip OR ADD MORE for a hotter dip. You choose!
WHAT’S GOOD WITH BUFFALO DIP?
Such a versatile dip it can pretty much be served with anything! Our favourite snacks include Celery sticks, carrot sticks, red bell pepper sticks (capsicum sticks), sliced cucumber, crusty bread pieces, tortilla chips or potato chips.
MORE APPETIZER RECIPES
Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1/2 cup Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce
- 8 oz (250g) g block cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup white Cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- 1/4 cup American cheddar freshly shredded
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (optional to serve)
- 2 teaspoons green onions, sliced ( or chives)
- Celery sticks carrot sticks, tortilla chips, crusty bread pieces, potato chips, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Arrange oven rack to the middle of your oven.
- In an 8-inch cast-iron skillet (or an ovenproof pan), melt the butter over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic until fragrant (30 seconds). Add the chicken and hot sauce and simmer until sauce has thickened and reduced by half (about 2 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cream cheese; mix until combined. Take off heat, stir through sour cream and top with both cheddar cheese(s) over the top.
- Bake until bubbling around the edges and the cheese has melted (about 10 minutes). Broil (or grill) for a further minute to brown on top.
- Immediately garnish with blue cheese and green onions. Serve with vegetable sticks, chips, crusty bread pieces for dipping.
- If you don't have a cast-iron skillet or oven-proof pan: prepare all ingredients as per recipe instructions above in a regular pan on the stove. Then transfer buffalo dip to a 1-quart (1-litre) baking dish.
- You can use rotisserie chicken.
- Don't like blue cheese? Feel free to omit it.
- Halve the hot sauce amount for a milder dip.
- Add more hot sauce for spicier dip.