Easy Roasted Sweet Potatoes with irresistible caramelised edges and incredible flavour!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes need only 5 ingredients to get you hooked! Baked sweet potatoes are so easy to make, right up there with potatoes, making them an incredible side dish ready to be served with absolutely anything.
Sweet potatoes would have to be one of the most versatile ingredients in the kitchen. Baked, smashed, mashed, stuffed or made into wedges, cakes and casseroles.
One of the easiest and most useful ways to cook sweet potatoes is to roast them.
How To Cook Sweet Potatoes in the Oven
- Preheat your oven at a high temperature.
- Chop them into 2-inch pieces. Cutting them into small pieces generally means a faster cook time, more crisp outer sides and delicious caramelized edges.
- Spread them out in a single layer on your baking sheet. Give them room and allow the heat to distribute evenly, circulating perfectly around each piece.
- Season them. We use garlic, olive oil, melted butter, salt and pepper, but you can pretty much use whatever you have on hand. Chili powder, garlic or onion powder.
- Garnish your roasted sweet potatoes with fresh chopped parsley as it is mild enough to allow the flavours of the sweet potatoes to shine through! Other herbs like thyme or rosemary taste incredible with sweet potatoes.
How long to bake sweet potatoes?
Do you need to peel sweet potatoes?
This is a personal question depending on what results you’re after. Sweet potato skins are edible and become crispy in the oven while roasting, just like regular potatoes.
The beauty of roasted sweet potatoes is that they can be cooked either way and still be absolutely incredible. You can always adjust this recipe to suit your taste.
What to serve with roasted sweet potatoes
You will love these roasted sweet potatoes with Roast Chicken, Roast Pork, Prime Rib or Crispy Slow Cooker Turkey.
Looking for more Sweet Potato Recipes?
Garlic Herb Chicken & Sweet Potato Sheet Pan Meal Prep
Sweet Potato Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
Mashed Sweet Potatoes (Savory Recipe)
ROASTED SWEET POTATOES VIDEO
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds (1 kg) sweet potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic (8 cloves garlic)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 220°C | 425°F. Lightly spray a baking sheet or tray with cooking oil spray.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes on the sheet in one layer, and add the oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Toss until the potatoes are well coated and seasoned.
- Roast in the oven for 45 -55 minutes, while flipping occasionally, until fork tender.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and season with a little extra salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle over with parsley and serve immediately!
Add smoked paprika and cinnamon and garlic powder. To die for!
Love this recipe, super easy and quick. Sweet Potatoes are perfect this way!
Stacy K says
I don’t know a lot about cooking sweet potatoes… do you have to peel them before cooking?
B. L. Hillier says
No, I never peel the skin. Just cut off the ends and wash. All the nutrition is in the skin!
Love the recipe – but my sweet potatoes were done much sooner than the 45 minutes. Be sure to check them when you flip them.
Kathy F says
Oh my gosh this looks so good. Thank you!