Garlic Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes With Parmesan Cheese are crispy and buttery on the outside, while soft and sweet on the inside, making way for one of the best ways to eat a sweet potato!
Move over mashed sweet potatoes, these smashed sweet potatoes sweet and tender on the inside with crispy outer edges, making them an incredible side dish to go with your roast chicken or turkey, steak or fish!
This is a no fail recipe that came to me after roasting our Crispy Garlic Butter Parmesan Smashed Potatoes. Normally, sweet potatoes are roasted in the oven either cubed (like this recipe), or in halves (like these garlic butter boasts). However, smashing them takes them to a whole other level!
Since sweet potatoes have such a different texture than normal potatoes, I tried and tested these smashed potatoes before posting the recipe to ensure you have the greatest success.
These are INSANELY delicious.
HOW TO MAKE SMASHED SWEET POTATOES
In testing these, I tried two different methods.
1/ Baking them first until fork tender, smashing on the same tray (less washing up — lazy person confession), and roasting to crispy perfection.
2/ Boiling them first, draining each piece, then placing them on a tray, smashing, and baking to crisp perfection.
Either way, you can’t go wrong. Personally, I prefer the boil method first, as they seem to almost caramelise in their own natural sweetness while boiling before baking.
I also found gently smashing them a fork was much easier than using a potato masher. A potato masher just, well, mashed and destroyed. You may have to mould them a little into shape after smashing them, because they are much softer than the average potato.
Then drizzle in melted garlic butter…
…then broil (or grill) for a another 10 – 15 minutes, and mentally prepare yourself for the BEST smashed sweet potatoes you will ever try in this lifetime.
MORE SWEET POTATO RECIPES:
Garlic Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes With Parmesan Cheese
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (or 3 large sweet potatoes)*
- A light spray of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 cloves garlic , crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
- Pre-heat your oven to broil (or grill) settings to high heat. Trim off the ends of the sweet potatoes. Cut each sweet potato into quarters (or 1 1/2 - inch pieces).
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Bring to the boil; cook, covered for 20 -25 minutes or until just fork-tender. Drain well.
- Bake sweet potato pieces for 25-30 minutes, or until they are fork tender. Allow to cool for about 5 minted, or until you can handle them without burning your hands.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet or tray with cooking oil spray. Arrange sweet potatoes onto the sheet and use a fork to LIGHTLY flatten each piece (they will be soft, so try not to press too hard or they will end up breaking and mashed).
- Mix together the butter, garlic and parsley. Pour the mixture over each sweet potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and lightly spray with olive oil spray.
- Broil (or grill) until they are golden and crispy (about 15 minutes). Remove from oven, sprinkle over the parmesan cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Season with a little extra salt and parsley, and serve immediately.
**I prefer the boil method first, as they seem to almost caramelise in their own natural sweetness, before baking. But either method works.