Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken Taco Salad with an Avocado Crema spiked with lime, a drizzle of honey and booze. I know this post is going up really last minute, getting carried away with Spicy Shrimp and Churro Ice Cream Bowls. BUT if you don’t know what to make today for your celebrations, or tomorrow…..just because — or this weekend for whatever reason, then this is for you!
If you’re not a big fan of tequila then trust me, you wouldn’t get enough of it when it’s in this salad!
Why tequila chicken? Well, with all the margaritas that have been flying around in my house (not that I’m complaining or anything), I need to do something with the bottle of tequila BESIDES drink it on my own since the husband doesn’t like it and the rest of my household contains little people under legal drinking age. I’m guessing a few of us might have some left over bottles hanging around after today is over. Wait. Leftover alcohol? WHAT?
You all know how much I love to re-use dressings into marinades, right? Well, I kinda spiked this avocado crema ⇓⇓⇓ with some boozy marinade I reserved BEFORE marinading the chicken. Don’t yell at me. No poisoning happens over here.
Breaking in this new grill pan my mama bought me to help me cook better (wait….), the first thing to hit it was boozed chicken. Welcome home grill pan. This chicken has so much flavour, we stood over the hot plate eating while fanning before it made it to the salad. Which meant I had to go get MORE chicken and marinade it all over again for this post. The Tequila tenderises these thighs even more than they already are, while the honey caramelises them with a crispy coating.
Then, to keep the Taco feeling going, I heated some flour tortillas up until they were golden in a separate pan, and cut them into strips. Totally optional and totally worth it.
Proceed to drown in a creamy avocado dressing and prepare for your MIND to be BLOWN.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken Taco Salad
- 4 boneless , skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 1/2 cup lime juice (2 limes)
- 1/3 cup Tequila
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon garlic , minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups Romaine lettuce leaves , chopped (or Cos lettuce)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes , halved
- 1 yellow pepper , deseeded and sliced
- 4 mini tortilla wraps
- 1 ripe avocado , peeled and seed removed
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 reserved Tequila Marinade (see instructions below)
- salt to taste
- In a large, shallow bowl, whisk marinade ingredients together to combine. Pour out 1/4 cup the marinade into a jug or cup, and refrigerate to use later in the avocado crema / dressing.
- Add the chicken fillets to the marinade in the bowl, and marinade for two hours if time allows (or overnight).
- Heat about one teaspoon of oil in a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat and grill chicken fillets on each side until golden, crispy and cooked through (grill in batches to prevent excess water being released.) Once chicken is cooked, set aside and allow to rest.
- Wipe pan over with paper towel; drizzle with another teaspoon of oil and fry pepper strips until cooked to your liking.
- While chicken and peppers are cooking, combine the avocado, yogurt (or sour cream), reserved tequila marinade, and salt to taste in a blender, and blend until smooth. Add a couple tablespoons of water or milk to make it thinner in consistency if needed.
- Optional: Warm tortillas on another pan over low heat until soft and warmed through. Transfer to warmed plates and cut into strips.
- Slice chicken and prepare salad with leaves, peppers, tomatoes and chicken. Drizzle with the avocado dressing and serve with lime wedges and taco strips.