Get your pots and pans out! Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Parmesan is the ultimate mashed potatoes recipe everyone will fall in love with!
There are mashed potatoes, and then there are MASHED POTATOES! Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes are in a realm of their own with irresistible garlic and parmesan flavours.
You haven’t lived until you’ve tried mashed potatoes with browned butter!
Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes
Browned butter is like liquid gold, adding a deliciously fried nutty taste and aroma to anything… especially a classic mash. Our browned butter love affair began years ago, drizzling it over AND mixing it into everything. Think Honey Garlic Salmon, Chicken, Shrimp, Asparagus, Skillet Cookies, Dutch Pancakes — browned butter everywhere.
Looking at a pot full of boiled potatoes, I thought WAAAAIT A SECOND:
- Why don’t I put browned butter in mashed potatoes?
- Why haven’t I EVER done that?
- AND with crispy garlic pieces? Hold me.
All of your neighbours will smell the buttery fried garlic smells wafting out through their windows.
The joy you will go through pouring browned butter into your potatoes may feel a little over exaggerated, but you’re not alone!
HOW TO MAKE BROWNED BUTTER MASH
Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Use Yukon golds, Russets or your favourite.
Boil in salted water until soft and tender but not falling apart.
Halfway through cooking time, you’re going to start browning your butter while your kitchen fills with the most beautiful buttery smells.
When butter begins to foam, add the crushed garlic, lower heat to medium and stir continuously until it begins to change colour and turn brown (its normal to see crispy little brown bits at the bottom of the pan).
Mash your potatoes with parmesan and milk, then beat with a hand beater until smooth and creamy (it takes about 1-2 minutes). If you don’t already beat them this way…try it! Potatoes come out whipped, creamy and smooth. Rest your arms…it will change your life.
You can also use a potato masher if you prefer.
Pour some more golden butter over the top with those crispy garlic pieces and parsley. Mix it all through and get ready for your mind to be blown.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BROWNED BUTTER MASHED POTATOES
LOOKING FOR MORE MASHED POTATOES? TRY THESE RECIPES!
Garlic Parmesan Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds (1.5 kg) potatoes of choice ((Chat Washed, Yukon Gold or Russet Potatoes), peeled)
- 6 oz (185 g) unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, (crushed)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk ((more if needed))
- Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Boil in salted water for 20 minutes or until fork tender (not falling apart).
- Halfway through cooking time, prepare browned butter: Heat butter in a small pan over medium-heat.
- When butter begins to foam, add the crushed garlic and reduce heat to medium. Stir continuously and swirl the pan until the butter it begins to change colour and turn golden brown with a nutty aroma. Its normal to see crispy little brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Remove immediately from heat. Set aside.
- Drain potatoes and transfer them back to the pot.
- Strain just over half of the browned butter over the boiled potatoes through a sieve. Reserve crispy garlic pieces to serve later.
- Add the parmesan cheese and milk. Beat with a hand beater until smooth and creamy (about 1-2 minutes) -- or use a potato masher. Add extra milk if you like a thinner mashed potato consistency.
- Taste test and season with more salt if needed.
- Serve with reserved browned butter, extra parmesan cheese, chopped parsley and crispy garlic pieces.