Creamy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are incredibly easy to make and will no doubt become your favourite slow cooker recipe!
You’ve been missing out on the good stuff if you don’t try this Creamy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes recipe!
CROCK POT MASHED POTATOES
These slow cooker mashed potatoes are that one side dish you’ll want to add to your weekly meal planning, and possibly any events coming up. Think Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.
Extremely versatile and mega creamy using only half of the amount of butter than the usual mashed potato recipe, you can make these however you like! For example: I love adding fresh grated parmesan and garlic to this recipe!
HOW TO MAKE MASHED POTATOES IN A CROCK POT
- Peel and cut your potatoes into 1 1/2 – inch chunks. (If you prefer your mash with potato peels, feel free to keep them on!)
- Once your potatoes are soft and super tender after slow cooking all day (or half of the day depending on which heat setting you close), and your house is filled with incredible, garlicky, buttery, comfort food smells, you’re going to mash them until your heart is content.
- Add in sour cream and milk, then taste test and POSSIBLY MAYBE keep eating them directly out of the slow cooker bowl because a serious addiction begins.
TIP: If you love a chunky mash, just hold back on mashing them too much.
BEST POTATOES FOR MASH
We love Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe, but you can also use Russet potatoes.
HOW LONG CAN MASHED POTATOES STAY OUT?
Cooked mashed potatoes should be discarded if left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature.
Properly stored mashed potatoes in an air tight container will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Looking for more potato recipes? Try these!
Creamy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds (2.2 kg) potatoes peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces*
- 1 cup chicken broth / stock
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/3 cup butter diced (reduced fat if counting points or calories)
- good pinch of salt (adjust to your tastes)
- 2/3 cup sour cream (light if counting points or calories)
- 1/3-1/2 cup hot milk (skim or 2% if counting points or calories)
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese (optional -- substitute with cheddar if your prefer)
- pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes, broth, garlic and butter into a 6qt slow cooker. Season with salt; mix together and cover with lid. Cook on HIGH setting for 4 hours or LOW setting for 7-8 hours, until very tender.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher or electric beater. Stir the sour cream and milk through until well combined and creamy (add more milk if desired). Stir through the parmesan cheese.
- Keep on low or warm setting until ready to serve.
Slow cooker mashed potatoes maintain a creamy consistency for a couple of hours after mashing if the lid stays on the slow cooker. If the lid has been removed and the potatoes have dried out a little, just add a little more milk to reach desired consistency.