Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup is pure comfort food, loaded with vegetables, Italian sausage and cheese tortellini! NO flour and NO heavy cream!
This Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup is one of my favourite recipes! Loaded with carrots, celery and spinach, soft pillows of cheese tortellini PLUS incredible flavours, this soup is thick and creamy without heavy cream OR a roux to get the thick and creamy texture.
Another day… another slow cooker recipe! I’m so excited about this Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup! You all know how much of a fan I am of converting heavy cream recipes into lower calorie ones when carbs are involved.
This is one of those quick to throw together recipes. Dump all ingredients into a slow cooker in the morning, and come home to your house smelling like a gourmet restaurant with a warm bowl of soup to south your soul!
HOW DO YOU MAKE TORTELLINI SOUP?
- Italian sausage gives this soup an amazing flavour BUT you CAN substitute it with plain and simple ground meats (ground chicken, turkey or beef sausage). For vegetarian options, leave the meat out all together.
- Dried three cheese tortellini is the best tortellini to use for this soup. You can also use fresh tortellini, just keep an eye on it as it doesn’t need as long to cook as dried. Any flavour is fine!
- The thick and creamy texture comes from a mixture of evaporated milk, cornstarch and milk. I found this mixture yielded the best results, but you can of course substitute with heavy cream if you wish.
- Veggies such as carrots, celery and spinach provide the best flavours. You could also add pumpkin, sweet potato, kale, zucchini, etc!
One of the BEST SOUPS I’ve ever tasted. Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup. The best part being it cooks while you’re NOT EVEN HOME! THIS is why I’m excited. Because coming home from a long day to find a bowl of comfort already done for you, and only needing a couple extra additions before serving? Priceless!
Looking for more soup recipes? Try these!
WATCH US MAKE THIS TORTELLINI SOUP RIGHT HERE!
Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound (500 g) ground Italian sausage (or ground chicken, turkey or beef), browned*
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoon beef bouillon powder (or chicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups beef broth (or chicken or vegetable broth -- I use low sodium)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed and dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 36 ounces evaporated milk or half and half
- 12 ounce packet three cheese tortellini (I used dried not fresh; choose any flavour you like)
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup milk
- Place the browned sausage, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, Italian seasoning, beef bouillon powder, salt, and broth in a 6-quart / litre slow cooker bowl. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours.
- Uncover and skim any fat that is sitting on the top of the soup with a spoon; discard. Stir in the cornstarch mixture with the evaporated milk (or half and half or cream). Add the tortellini and mix well. Cover again and cook on HIGH heat setting for a further 45 minutes until the soup has thickened, and the tortellini is soft and cooked through.
- Add in the spinach, pressing the leaves down to completely submerse into the liquid. Cover again for a further 5-10 minutes until the leaves have wilted.
- Pour in milk in 1/3 cup increments, as needed, to reach your desired thickness and consistency (I needed 1 cup); taste test and season with extra salt ONLY if needed, and pepper to suit your tastes.
- Serve with crusty warmed bread