Cream of Asparagus Soup is so good, you’ll go back for seconds!
Out of all the ways to enjoy asparagus, silky smooth Asparagus Soup would have to be one of our favourites. Garlic, onions, broth, parmesan cheese and a hint of cream is all you need to make a thick and creamy pot of asparagus soup. No flour needed!
If you love asparagus, you will LOVE this recipe.
Sautéed in a hint of butter with onions and garlic to soften the grassy undertones, then simmered in broth until soft and tender. Blended until smooth and creamy with a good kick of cream gives you a comforting flavourful cream of asparagus soup that can be served as an appetiser or light meal.
WHAT YOU NEED
The ingredients list is fairly short for this one! Asparagus, onions, garlic, broth (chicken or keep it vegetarian and use veggie broth), salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and heavy cream (or thickened cream). It doesn’t get any easier than this!
Make it your own and add in whatever you like: chili flakes or cayenne pepper for a kick of heat, fresh dill or a squeeze of lemon juice never hurt anybody.
HOW TO MAKE ASPARAGUS SOUP FROM SCRATCH
Aside from taste, you will LOVE how easy this cream of asparagus soup recipe is to throw together.
- FIRST, trim the woody ends of your asparagus stalks and discard those ends.
- CUT each stalk into 1-inch pieces.
- SAUTÉ onions and garlic until soft and fragrant in our favourite blend of butter and oil.
- ADD the asparagus to get all of those flavours married into each other before adding broth.
SIMMER until your veggies are soft and tender. Give it a good 20 minutes, then blend. You can use an immersion blender to puree your soup straight in the pot, OR use a regular blender. Just remember to stop a couple of times while blending to uncover the jug and let the steam out and avoid over heating.
The beauty of this cream of asparagus soup is that you don’t need any flour to make a roux. The veggies make it nice and thick for you. Once you’ve pureed your veggies, pour the soup back into the pot and let simmer, uncovered. Stir in cream and parmesan cheese, taste test and adjust salt and pepper. Continue simmering until thickened to your liking.
Garnish with fresh chopped chives or green onions, a little extra cream, maybe some black cracked pepper or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. You could even top it with some fried diced bacon!
A thick and creamy bowl full of comfort.
MORE ASPARAGUS RECIPES
Cream of Asparagus Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/4 pounds (1 kg) asparagus, woody ends trimmed, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black cracked pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Fresh chopped chives or green onions, to garnish
- Heat butter and oil together in a pot over medium heat until butter is melted. Sauté the onions until soft while stirring frequently, about 4 minutes. Sauté the garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chopped asparagus, season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until just starting to change colour.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover with lid. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree soup. If using a regular blender, stop and remove lid a couple of times to let some steam out and avoid overheating.
- Return soup to pot and let simmer, uncovered. Stir in cream and cheese. Taste test and adjust salt and pepper, if needed. Let simmer until thickened.
- Garnish with fresh chopped chives or green onions, extra cream and cracked black pepper.