Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup Is ready in less than 30 minutes, and even better than a Panera’s copycat! Creamy comfort in a bowl with tender broccoli, Cheddar cheese, and SO MUCH FLAVOUR!
When I visited my hometown New York a few years ago, I was taken to Panera’s and was immediately given a streaming hot bowl of Broccoli Cheddar Soup, without a choice OR a chance of at least viewing the menu. Dipping into it, I could not believe how beautifully thick and creamy it was, and since then I’ve been making it at home for us! We don’t have a Panera’s in Australia… the travesty! *cue the violins*
Thick and creamy with an ABUNDANCE of broccoli AND cheese.
This recipe has taken quite a few years to get right. Taste, flavour and consistency. It might not be an exact replica of Panera’s, BUT it’s so good you’ll be eating it right out of the pot before your friends and family have a chance to pour themselves a bowl! A few Broccoli Cheese Soup recipes have so little broccoli you need some sort of magnifying equipment to find it. NOT THIS ONE!
How to make an Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup:
- Start by frying onions and garlic in melted butter…this is where the flavour starts.
- Whisk in flour…this is where the consistency comes in.
- Add in your seasonings…this is where FLAVOUR PART TWO continues.
- Follow with an abundance of broccoli and carrots, then cheese… THIS IS WHERE THIS BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP IS ONE OF THE BEST YOU’LL TRY!
- Get your bread rolls ready and DIP!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup Is ready in less than 30 minutes! Creamy comfort in a bowl with tender broccoli, Cheddar cheese, and SO MUCH FLAVOUR!
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour (or plain flour)
- 2 cups good-quality low sodium chicken stock
- 3 cups half-and-half, (or evaporated milk or regular milk)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or more to your taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper, or more to your taste
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder (or chicken bouillon powder)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound (500 grams) broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 cups low fat sharp cheddar cheese
Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Fry the onion until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Add in the garlic and cook for a further minute. Whisk in the flour and cook for a few minutes or until golden brown.
Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour in the chicken stock and half-and-half, stirring well to combine and dissolve the flour into the liquid. Season with salt and pepper, stock powder, mustard powder and garlic powder. Give it a good mix and allow to cook and thicken for about 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Add in the broccoli and carrots and gently simmer for another 20 minutes, until broccoli is completely tender. Mix in cheese and stir until just combined. Taste test and add in extra salt and/or pepper, if desired.
Serve with bread rolls!
For an even thicker consistency, mix 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water or milk, and add to the soup when it's simmering. Mix through well and allow to thicken.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.