Seared, golden chicken thighs in a thick and creamy mushroom sauce with garlic, herbs and parmesan cheese is the weeknight dinner everyone raves about!
Served over rice, pasta, mashed potatoes OR low carb Keto options like mashed cauliflower or zucchini noodles, this would have to be one of the best ways to enjoy boneless chicken thighs! There’s nothing like a quick and easy chicken recipe to whip up and have on the table in less than 15 minutes!
Chicken Thigh Recipes
With all of the chicken thigh recipes on this blog, this one right here is one of my favourites! Using boneless chicken thighs means a quicker cook time on the stove top when compared with bone-in baked chicken thighs.
How To Cook Chicken Thighs
Sear thighs in batches of two or three — no more than 3 fillets at a time depending on the size of your pan to avoid over-crowding. Please don’t be tempted to throw all fillets in the pan! You will have steamed, pale and tasteless chicken. No bueno.
Instead, each thigh needs space between them which will sear your chicken to a beautiful golden brown colour, locking in moisture, resulting in the juicy flavour you want!
Creamy Sauce for Chicken
PACKED with flavour, this sauce is everything! Start with garlic buttery mushrooms and turn them into the best sauce for your chicken! We use brown (or Cremini) mushrooms, but any kind is fine to use.
Raid your kitchen cupboards and refrigerators, because you most probably have the rest of the ingredients on hand!
Ingredients for Sauce
- Dried herbs — I use dried here because we all have jars of seasonings and herbs hanging around our pantries. You CAN use fresh if you have them! Two teaspoons each of fresh herbs is fine.
- I use Thyme and Rosemary but you can swap anything you don’t like out for what you DO like. Use Oregano, Basil or even Tarragon!
- Heavy or thickened cream is used for low carb/high fat purposes. If counting calories and/or fat macros instead, use evaporated milk, reduced fat cream or half and half.
For even more amazing flavour, add in 1/3 cup white wine with your mushrooms and cook it down to half before adding in your cream! YUUUHM!
Love Chicken Mushroom Recipes? Try These!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 1 1/2 pounds (700g) boneless skinless chicken thighs (around 6-8 fillets)
- 1 teaspoon each onion powder and garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each of dried thyme and rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces (250 g) sliced brown mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tablespoon minced garlic)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon each of dried thyme and dried rosemary (adjust to your taste)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream / thickened cream (evaporated milk or half and half)*
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towel and trim off excess fat. Combine the onion powder, garlic powder, herbs, salt and pepper. Coat the chicken evenly with the combined seasoning.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sear chicken thighs in batches until browned on each side and no longer pink in centre (about 8 minutes each side, depending on thickness). Add remaining oil if needed for second batch. Transfer to a plate; set aside and keep warm.
To the same pan or skillet, melt the butter and add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and cook until soft (about 3 minutes). Add the garlic, parsley, thyme and rosemary; sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute).
Stir in cream, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and continue cooking until sauce has thickened slightly. Stir in the parmesan cheese and allow it to melt through the sauce for a further 2 minutes, while occasionally stirring.
Return chicken to the pan. Taste test and season with salt and pepper to your taste. Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
*You CAN use fresh herbs if you have them! 2 teaspoons each of fresh herbs is fine. If you don't like Thyme or Rosemary, substitute with Basil and Oregano, or use Tarragon.
**Heavy or thickened cream is used for low carb/high fat purposes. If counting calories and/or fat macros instead, use evaporated milk, reduced fat cream or half and half.
- For a dairy free option, I find Cashew milk the best in flavour. You can also use almond milk or rice milk. Thicken with a cornstarch slurry (2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water, mix to blend well and add to the sauce, stirring quickly, until thickened)
Optional: For even more amazing flavour, add in 1/3 cup dry white wine with your mushrooms and cook it down to half before adding in your garlic and cream!
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.