Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes
With a table full of food, the most loved and devoured foods are side dishes. Specifically, these Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes. The secret to this mash though is not an abundance of butter, but SOUR CREAM! Half butter, a good amount of sour cream and HOT MILK make the most perfect and best Creamy Mashed Potatoes!
Perfect for any occasion, whether it be after a hectic day at work, or a festive dinner like Easter, Christmas or Thanksgiving! With only 5 main ingredients, you guys will love these just as much as we do!
These creamy mashed potatoes have been in our family for years. We don’t normally measure anything, so imagine how hard it was to add ingredients while measuring them at the same time to make sure I could give you guys the BEST mashed potatoes of your life.
How do you make the perfect mashed potatoes?
- Make sure you start with the best potato possible. In America, go for Yukon golds or Russet potatoes. In Australia, choose Dutch Creams, Creme Gold or Creme Royale.
- The butter and sour cream combination. If you LOVE sour cream smothered potatoes, you will love these. They are not strong with sour cream flavour, however the velvety texture of sour cream helps these potatoes become extra creamy and silky once all mixed in.
- Added softened butter for even more silkiness and flavour. Mashed potatoes NEED butter.
- Why hot milk? To ensure your potatoes are still warm after mashing.
- Using an electric beater helps your mashed potatoes become silkier in texture, but just be careful not to over beat. Beat just enough for them to smooth out.
What can you add to mashed potatoes?
You can add almost anything into mashed potatoes and they will taste amazing! Some optional ingredients:
- Crushed garlic (Add to the water with the potatoes and cook together).
- Onion: green onions, shallots, red onion (again, add to the water with the potatoes and cook together).
- Parmesan cheese once they are mashed is a must in our mash. Use fresh instead of the plastic container parmesan.
- Fresh herbs like thyme, parsley or rosemary
The BEST Homemade Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes for the WIN!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes is the most loved and devoured side dish! The secret to this mash though is not an abundance of butter, but SOUR CREAM! Half butter, a good amount of sour cream and HOT MILK make the most perfect and best Creamy Mashed Potatoes!
- 2 pounds (1kg) potatoes, (Russet, Yukon Gold, Dutch Creams, Creme Gold, Creme Royale)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot milk, or more
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened (close to room temp is best)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (reduced fat)
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese, optional
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley to garnish, optional to garnish
Peel and cut potatoes into quarters lengthwise. Remove any spots, lumps or knots (I call them warts).
Place potatoes in a large pot (6-quart) and cover with cold, salted water by an inch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat down to medium-low and allow to simmer until fork tender (about 15-20 minutes).
Drain cooked potatoes, add in the hot milk, butter and sour cream.
Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth, adding a little extra milk if needed. (OPTIONAL: Use a strong wooden spoon OR electric beaters to beat further until smooth. Be careful NOT to over beat or they will become gluey.)
Add in the parmesan cheese (if using) and salt and pepper to taste.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.
What to serve mashed potatoes with?