Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe full flavoured with butter, sour cream, garlic and parmesan cheese. Perfect for the any time of the year!
With a table full of food, the most loved and devoured foods are side dishes. Specifically, these Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes. The secret to this mash though is not an abundance of butter, but SOUR CREAM! Half butter, a good amount of sour cream and HOT MILK make the most perfect and best Creamy Mashed Potatoes!
Perfect for any occasion, whether it be after a hectic day at work, or a festive dinner like Easter, Christmas or Thanksgiving! With only 5 main ingredients, you guys will love these just as much as we do!
These creamy mashed potatoes have been in our family for years. We don’t normally measure anything, so imagine how hard it was to add ingredients while measuring them at the same time to make sure I could give you guys the BEST potatoes of your life.
WHAT GOES IN HOMEMADE MASHED POTATOES?
- Make sure you start with the best potato possible. In America, go for Yukon golds or Russet potatoes. In Australia, choose Dutch Creams, Creme Gold or Creme Royale.
- Salted water for boiling — not adding salt to the water will yield bland tasting potatoes.
- Softened unsalted butter — using unsalted ensures you have full control of how salty your mash comes out.
- Sour cream — makes them EVEN CREAMIER when compared to regular potatoes.
- Garlic — use fresh where possible.
- Fresh shredded parmesan cheese — adds incredible flavour.
- Hot milk — why hot milk? To ensure your potatoes are still warm after mashing.
HOW DO YOU MAKE THE PERFECT MASHED POTATOES?
Cut your potatoes into the same sized pieces to ensure they all cook evenly and at the same time.
Boil potatoes in salted water until JUST fork-tender. Try not to over cook too much as they can become quite sticky or gluey when overcooked.
Sauté garlic in some butter until fragrant.
Drain potatoes and add in the hot milk, cooked garlic, remaining butter and sour cream.
Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth, adding a little extra milk if needed. You can also use an electric hand mixer beaters to ensure a smoother consistency. Beat just enough for them to smooth out while being extra careful not to over beat as they may become gluggy.
What can you add to mashed potatoes?
You can add almost anything and they will taste amazing! Some optional ingredients:
Onions: green onions, shallots, red onion (again, add to the water with the potatoes and cook together).
Fresh herbs like thyme, parsley or rosemary
WHAT TO SERVE WITH MASHED POTATOES?
ORIGINALLY POSTED DECEMBER 17, 2017. POST UPDATED WITH IMAGES.
Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds (1kg) potatoes, (Russet, Yukon Gold, Dutch Creams, Creme Gold, Creme Royale)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot milk, or more
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened (close to room temp is best)
- 6-8 cloves fresh garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream (reduced fat)
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese, optional
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley to garnish, optional to garnish
- Peel and cut potatoes into quarters lengthwise. Remove any spots, lumps or knots.
- Place potatoes in a large pot (6-quart) and cover with cold, salted water by an inch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat down to medium-low and allow to simmer until fork tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- When potatoes are just about done (nearly fork-tender), heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small pan over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Set aside and keep warm.
- Drain cooked potatoes, add in the remaining butter, cooked garlic, hot milk and sour cream.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth, adding a little extra milk if needed. (OPTIONAL: Use a strong wooden spoon OR electric beaters to beat further until smooth. Be careful NOT to over beat or they will become gluey.)
- Add in the parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.