10-Minute White Bean Soup with Parmesan and Spinach is ready in 10 minutes and loaded with flavour!
Make a double batch of Bean Soup and have plenty of leftovers for the weekly dinner rush!
Mop it all up with our Garlic Bread!
This is one of those soups you look forward to AND long for. Beans simmered in a tomato-based broth on your table in minutes. Perfect for any day of the week made in one pot…and SO MUCH FLAVOUR! The bonus? Perfect for vegetarians.
How to make bean soup?
This bean soup couldn’t be any easier.
Sauté onion and garlic.
Add and boil broth with tomatoes, herbs and seasonings.
Stir in beans and spinach.
Add in parmesan cheese.
All DONE in 10 minutes!
What kind of beans are good for vegetable soup?
For this recipe I recommend canned rinsed and drained white beans or cannellini beans. You can use chick peas, black beans, kidney beans (red beans), Pinto beans, etc. For convenience purposes, I have used canned beans in this soup.
Do you have to soak beans before cooking?
If you’d like to use dry beans for this soup, I recommend soaking 2 cups of beans in water overnight. Beans must be submerged in a large bowl or pot of water and let them soak for 8-12 hours overnight before cooking.
You can use fresh tomatoes in place of canned tomatoes, for a richer flavour.
Substitute spinach for kale if you don’t like spinach
You’re more than welcome to add other vegetables like:
- Red peppers (capsicum)
- Sliced cabbage
- Frozen peas
- Carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin (you will need to simmer soup for 5-10 minutes longer if using these veggies).
Looking for more soup recipes? Try these!
10-Minute Parmesan White Bean Soup with Spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 6-8 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 cups vegetable broth ((or stock))
- 15 ounces (420 g) can diced tomatoes, (drained*)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (15 ounce) cans white beans (cannellini beans), (drained and rinsed)
- 4 cups baby spinach ((about 6 ounces))
- 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese ((for serving))
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large pot or saucepan, heat olive over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant (about 2-3 minutes), while stirring occasionally. Add in the broth, tomatoes, sugar, Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes to combine all of the flavours together.
- Stir in the beans and spinach. Continue to simmer gently until the spinach has wilted, (about 2 minutes).
- Take off heat. Stir through the parmesan cheese. Taste test, adjust salt and pepper if needed.Serve immediately.