Cabbage Soup recipe is quick to make with deliciously tender beef. Low in carbs, KETO approved and full of incredible flavour, hello healthy comfort food!
Make Cabbage Soup incredible in no time with minimal ingredients: cabbage, chunks of beef, carrots, onions and garlic. Low fat, low carb, Keto approved, healthy and super filling you won’t believe how good this is.
Move over cabbage soup diet!
If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know how I hate going hungry, which can be detrimental to any diet plan I follow. Especially with all of my complete meal in salads recipes. So trying to come up with a soup that isn’t going to break my diet OR yours while satisfying OUR never ending stomach hunger pangs meant loading it up with veggies! With the fame of that cabbage soup diet from the 80’s (90’s?), I went with cabbage to see what all the fuss is about and created Beef Cabbage Soup.
If you’re someone who doesn’t like cabbage or anything cabbage related, you’ll love this. Especially if you love flavourful vegetables. Remember that time when I drowned Brussels Sprouts in a beautiful rich and creamy garlic parmesan sauce…WITH bacon? Yeah. That.
WHAT GOES IN SOUP?
- Cabbage (I use green, but you can use any variety)
- Beef. I use rib eye steak or scotch fillet as it’s the most tender cut that stays tender through a minimal cooking process without having to boil it for 4-5 hours. Yes, it’s more expensive than your cheaper cuts, but the flavour and texture is unbeatable, with minimal fat coating the top of the soup.
- Onions and garlic
You will be in pure disbelief that this Cabbage Soup is so incredibly delicious, you will go back for seconds or thirds and even enjoy a bowl as a great afternoon snack (move over celery sticks)!
It’s not just me! My family are now HUGE fans of cabbage and CRAVE it.
IS CABBAGE SOUP GOOD FOR WEIGHT LOSS?
Absolutely! This soup recipe contains protein to help keep you full for a longer period of time, has minimal fat content, is fairly low in calories for a protein-based soup and is suitable as a snack as well as a main meal.
You can always substitute the beef for chicken, turkey or fish if you’d like to lower the calorie content even more. For a vegetarian option: replace the meat with chickpeas, black beans or tofu.
CABBAGE SOUP IS JUST WHAT YOU NEED…DIETING OR NOT!
MORE SOUP RECIPES
Cabbage Soup with Beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 pound 500 grams rib eye or scotch fillet steak, cut into 1-inch pieces (trimmed of visible fat)
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 small green cabbage chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups beef stock or broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley plus more to serve
- 2 teaspoons each dried thyme and dried rosemary (or dried basil and oregano)
- 2 teaspoons onion or garlic powder
- Salt and freshly-cracked black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-heat, add the beef and sear one all sides until browned all over (they don't need to be cooked through). Then add the onions and cook until transparent (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the celery and carrots to the pan, mixing through the flavours in the pot. Cook while mixing occasionally for about 3-4 minutes, then add the cabbage and cook for a further 5 minutes until beginning to soften; add in the garlic, and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute), mixing all ingredients through.
- Add the stock (or broth), parsley, dried herbs, and onion or garlic powder; mixing well. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low and cover, with a lid.
- Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the cabbage and carrots are soft. Season with salt and pepper, and add in a little extra dried herbs, if needed.
- Serve warm with a sprinkle of fresh parsley (if desired).