Thick and Creamy Pumpkin Soup is our family recipe and a favourite weekly soup! Served with crispy bacon, this soup will become YOUR new favourite soup!
A classic favourite, this easy PUMPKIN SOUP RECIPE is fast to make with maximum flavour! Thick and creamy, this is THE pumpkin soup of your dreams! You will it make over and over again.
Thick & Creamy Pumpkin Soup makes the weekly rounds at our house and is always served with a swirl of cream, crispy bacon pieces AND sometimes buttery and cheesy garlic bread. Yes, we totally go there. Especially in winter, there’s nothing better than a big bowl of comfort.
Our pumpkin soup is quite possibly the easiest soup recipe on the planet, because everything is thrown into a pot; boiled; blended and served.
INGREDIENTS FOR PUMPKIN SOUP?
When I say easy, I truly mean easy! You’ll have soup on your dinner table in no time with only a handful of ingredients you may already have on hand!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST PUMPKIN SOUP
With this recipe, there’s no roasting or frying first. Something great for when you’re in a mad rush. We buy already chopped/diced pumpkin from our supermarket and throw it into a pot with the rest of the ingredients. That’s it!
Boil rapidly for 15 minutes
Blend until smooth.
Cream: Pumpkin soup is so good on its own, it does’t really need ‘help’ with any additional ingredients. However, for an incredible depth of flavour, adding a swirl of cream adds extra richness to the soup.
Heavy or thickened cream, half and half or even milk works well. It doesn’t necessarily make soup thicker. The thick and creamy texture comes from the pumpkin, potatoes and carrots.
If you don’t have cream, add a little butter!
While your soup is boiling on the stove, fry some bacon in a small pan. Then, pour some of the bacon fat into the soup for added flavour, and serve bowls of soup with crispy bacon pieces on top.
What sets this pumpkin soup recipe apart?
The added extra flavour thanks to the onion and garlic. If you’re lucky enough to have a store that has most of the ingredients peeled, chopped and ready for you, BONUS!
And this is what you end up with. A thick and creamy soup loaded with flavour!
Looking for more soup recipes? Try these!
- 2 pounds (1 kg) pumpkin skin and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 medium-sized potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (stock)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste (if needed)
- 1/2 cup half and half (or light cream)
- 1/2 cooked bacon to serve (optional)
- Fresh parsley to serve (optional)
- Place all ingredients, except cream, in a large pot or saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- Take off heat. Using a stick blender, blend until smooth.
- Add the cream and stir through (do not boil after adding cream).
- Add any salt or pepper if needed, and serve with bacon and parsley (if desired).