Creamy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are incredibly easy to make and will no doubt become your favourite slow cooker recipe!
Hello comfort food.
These slow cooker mashed potatoes are that one side dish you’ll want to add to your weekly meal planning, and possibly any events coming up. Think Christmas…. or backing up for a sec, Thanksgiving. Extremely versatile and mega creamy using only half of the amount of butter than the usual mashed potato recipe, you can make these however you like! For example: I love adding fresh grated parmesan to these just as I professed my parmesan addiction when writing up this Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken & Bacon post.
I’ve included options to use skim or 2% milk, while sour cream replaces most of the butter without you missing it.
First, you’re going to peel and cut your potatoes into 1 1/2 – inch chunks. (If you prefer your mash with potato peels, feel free to keep them on!) Once your potatoes are soft and super tender after slow cooking all day (or half of the day depending on which heat setting you close), and your house is filled with incredible, garlicky, buttery, comfort food smells, you’re going to mash them until your heart is content. TIP: If you love a chunky mash, just hold back on mashing them too much.
THEN, you’re going to add in your sour cream and milk until you reach your preferred level of thickness and creaminess….and you’re going to taste test and POSSIBLY MAYBE keep eating them directly out of the slow cooker bowl because a serious addiction begins.
Is it bad that this was breakfast? Wait….is it bad that I don’t care?
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 5 pounds | 2.2 kg potatoes, peeled and cut into 1½-inch pieces*
- 1 cup chicken broth / stock
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ⅓ cup butter, diced (reduced fat if counting points or calories)
- good pinch of salt (adjust to your tastes)
- ⅔ cup sour cream (light if counting points or calories)
- ⅓ cup - ½ cup hot milk (skim or 2% if counting points or calories)
- ½ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese (optional -- substitute with cheddar if your prefer)
- pepper, to taste
- Place the potatoes, broth, garlic and butter into a 6qt slow cooker. Season with salt; mix together and cover with lid. Cook on HIGH setting for 4 hours or LOW setting for 7-8 hours, until very tender.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher or electric beater. Stir the sour cream and milk through until well combined and creamy (add more milk if desired). Stir through the parmesan cheese.
- Keep on low or warm setting until ready to serve.
Slow cooker mashed potatoes maintain a creamy consistency for a couple of hours after mashing if the lid stays on the slow cooker. If the lid has been removed and the potatoes have dried out a little, just add a little more milk to reach desired consistency.
© 2016 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.