Usually, I can’t stand when people say: This is the BEST recipe EVER! BUT! Holy Churro THESE are the BEST homemade, baked Churros I’ve ever baked/tried. And they’re only 36 calories EACH! OR 2 Smart Points! Even though these Red Velvet Churros are oven baked, they still have that unmistakable crispy exterior with that Churro crunch!
The subtle chocolate sweetness of red velvet on the soft inside! Can’t get any better than this!
I’ve been testing what seems like a million different baked Churro recipes. Either they’ve come out hollow, they’re TOO eggy and soft, and they’re NOT like Churros. And when you want Churros, dang it you need REAL Churros, like, yesterday!
In comes these in true Red Velvet form, because Valentine’s Day is about to come in all its glory.
Plus, we were so excited with the texture of them that we somehow ended up dipping them in a bowl full of melted Nutella. I mean, if you’re going to have Churros, real Churros, then you have to do it in style. Especially on Valentine’s Day.
I know I’ve been guilty of creating Churro-like recipes, like those Nutella Stuffed Churro Donut Holes, or the Churro French Toast Ice Cream Sandwiches. Then there were those Churro Lava Cakes (oh man) and the Churro Skillet Cookie. I may need to go to an addiction anonymous group. BUT! It was time I made the real thing, not another imitation creation.
Do you see this centre? It’s dense and cake-y all in one…just like store-bought Churros. BUT! They’re not fried! Hallelujah praise the Churro kings!
Serve these to your other half OR bake them and eat them all by yourself. I won’t tell a soul.
PLUS! I made you another video! These Red Velvet Churros are on my YouTube Channel!
Watch how to make them here:
The only annoying part of finally….FINALLY…nailing the perfect baked Churro recipe after breaking endless amounts of piping bags and causing traumatising stab wounds on just about every finger (thanks to those star tip nozzles), is that they were all finished — demolished — while I was busy working on these photos.
I had two. TWO Churros. Insert eye-roll emoji. No, no. Devesation emoji.
Looks like I’ll be baking them again mañana. Because since when is two enough (no, not a question).
And even though my piping skills are that of a 5 year old, they still look good and pass the Churro checklist. My point being, if I can do it, anyone can do it.
If you’re looking for a last minute Valentine’s Day cheat or treat, look no further. Impress him/her or yourself with these!
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers Smart Points: 2!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons red food colouring (or 1 tablespoons beetroot juice)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C | 390°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment (baking) paper and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and oil together. Add the water, brown sugar, food colouring and salt; bring to a boil for 5 minutes, mixing occasionally. Add the flour/cocoa powder mixture to the liquid, stirring with large wooden spoon until well blended.
- Take off heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes, or until just warm to the touch. Add the vanilla and egg and quickly beat until completely incorporated (it will look like it's not coming together, but keep beating)!
- Spoon dough into a strong double lined pastry bag with a large star tip nozzle (or use a cookie press). Squeeze dough onto prepared baking sheet in 4-inch (10 cm) length strips, with 1-inch (about 2cm) between each churro to allow to expand. Bake for 10 minutes or until crispy to the touch. Reduce oven temperature down to 176°C | 350°F, and bake for an additional 7-10 minutes to allow the centres to set. Remove from the oven and coat in sugar immediately.
- Serve with Nutella or chocolate of choice!
© 2016 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.