Fluffy Churro flavoured cake dipped in melted chocolate to full fill all of your Churro cravings — with only half the fat!
Whaaahhh? Yes! Oh myyyyy hold the phone and shut the front door! And the back one!
Because when you make these…the drifting cinnamon and buttery aromas will be bringing all the boys to the yard.
And of course, being totally and completely inspired by Churros…we just had to dunk ’em in chocolate. Because how else do you eat Churros? Howww?
Yepoohh that’s what I was thinking too. I melted chocolate for ma’ children…and made some kick ass chocolate sauce for me.
Ohhhh happy daysss…..
Ok. I need to calm ma’self. This was just.amazing. Just.incredible. Just…ok I’ll explain.
I was out with my family just minding my own business. Honestly, I was. When all of a sudden out of no where the Churro store appeared right in front of me. I know right? Weird. So anyway, as my story goes, the smell of Churros made my mouth water in all ways possible known to man. Or woman as the case may be. How.everrrr… I can’t trust myself in the Churro shop. I just can’t. It’s an addiction that is wayyyy to deep and personal to even touch on.
So I thought….make something CHURRO.
Fluffy…buttery…and fudge-y all in one. I didn’t think it would be possible at all to turn a cake into a Churro creation…but it happened. It reallllly happened. And I’m so happy right now, happier than a minion with bananas.
My kids are like, “you are the best mum in the whole entire world.”
Yep. Until I make them help me with the dishes later.
But not only did we dunk ’em in chocolate. We smeared chocolate alllll over it. Melted chocolate…all over this cake.
This part is completely optional. The cake was out-freaking-standing on it’s own. But…chocolate. Yeah, that’s what I thought. Again. See? Great minds think alike.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen my kids so quiet. There was absolutely no talking going on when they were eating a slice..or two. Ok, so maybe they took about three slices each, but really, who’s counting when kids go shoosh?
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers: 3pp per slice
- ⅔ cup lightly packed brown sugar or muscavado sugar
- ½ cup natural sweetener or your sugar of choice
- ½ cup light butter , room temperature (or sub with spread of choice)
- 2 tablespoons apple sauce (or extra butter/spread of choice)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups plain flour (all-purpose)
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk
- Cinnamon sugar
- 1/4 cup melted chocolate OR a Clean Chocolate Sauce (See recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 176C | 350F. Grease a square 8-8-inch baking tray with cooking oil spray, and wipe over with a paper towel.
- In a bowl, whisk brown sugar, sweetener/sugar, butter and apple sauce until. Add egg and vanilla and whisk again until light and creamy.
- In a smaller bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients.
- Pour the milk into the batter, and mix well. Do not over beat batter.
- Pour batter into prepared baking tray and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake until golden, about 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool completely before spreading with melted chocolate of choice, or a clean chocolate sauce.
- tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- teaspoons natural sweetener/sugar of choice
- tablespoons warm water, or enough to mix into your desired consistency
Nutrition calculated excluding melted chocolate, as this is completely optional!
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.