Crispy Barbecue Buffalo Chicken Thighs with Avocado! It’s been so freaking cold in Melbourne lately, we needed a little spice to warm us up. Yes, I am aware I said a little,’ which doesn’t seem to cut it next to the word, or recipe, Buffalo.
My daughter, being the little genius she is, saw Buffalo wings on her Instagram somewhere and suddenly wanted (okay, more like craving, clawing at my shirt and begging me), for a KFC all out Zinger binge. Oh, hell no child…
How did she relate Buffalo to Zinger? I don’t know. Teenagers and their raving lunatic hormones.
Since trying Buffalo wings in NYC a few years ago…I was a mild-ish fan and much younger, ignorant to Buffalo chicken since we don’t (or didn’t) really do Buffalo flavours in Australia…or I should say, they aren’t as readily available in comparison to American restaurants and diners.
Remembering the flavour and checking out a few recipes, I decided to settle on a concoction from the voices in my head. Barbecue sauce mixed with Buffalo flavour.
And of course, being a blogger and all, I have to taste test the recipe three times before I let it loose on the world ‘wild’ web. Let me just say it was enough to blow my innocent taste buds into a sinful and fiery rage of a rich and sinful buffalo flavour, with the added hint of sweetness from the barbecue sauce. Served with creamy Avocado slices to cool down the rage going on…this was a flaming hit.
Oh. So cheesy, Karina.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 1/3 cup Franks Red hot Sauce
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or chilli powder or chilli flakes)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sweetener (or sugar) - Optional
- Salt to season
- 6 chicken thighs , bone in with skin
- 1 large Avocado , sliced
- Preheat oven 220°C | 430°F.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the hot sauce, butter, barbecue sauce, garlic, onion powder, cayenne pepper, vinegar and sweetener (or sugar if using). Divide half of the sauce and reserve for later into a separate bowl or small cup/jug. Add the chicken thighs into the bowl and evenly coat.
- Fry thighs in batches (about two at a time), in a preheated large skillet or oven proof pan on medium-high heat until browned on all sides. Change oven setting to grill (or broil) on medium-high heat. Place all thighs back into the pan and allow to continue cooking and crisping under grill/broiler (make sure your pan is on the middle shelf), until cooked through (about 10-15 minutes).
- Once completely cooked, pour the remaining sauce over the chicken thighs and serve with sliced avocado.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.