Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup is ready in less than 30 minutes! Creamy comfort in a bowl with tender broccoli, Cheddar cheese, and SO MUCH FLAVOUR!
Our Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe has taken quite a few years to get right: taste, flavour and consistency. This might not be an exact replica of Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup… BUT it’s so good you’ll be eating it right out of the pot before your friends and family have a chance to pour themselves a bowl!
BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP
When I visited my hometown New York a few years ago, I was taken to Panera’s and was immediately given a steaming hot bowl of Broccoli Cheddar Soup. Dipping into it, I could not believe how beautifully thick and creamy it was… and since then I’ve been making it at home for us!
Thick and creamy with an ABUNDANCE of broccoli and American cheddar cheese!
HOW TO MAKE BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP
A few Broccoli Cheese Soup recipes have so little broccoli you need some sort of magnifying equipment to find it. NOT THIS ONE!
- Start by frying onions and garlic in melted butter…this is where the flavour starts.
- Whisk in flour…this is where the consistency comes in.
- Add in your seasonings…this is where FLAVOUR PART TWO continues.
- Follow with an abundance of broccoli and carrots, then cheese… THIS IS WHERE THIS BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP IS ONE OF THE BEST YOU’LL TRY!
- Get your bread rolls ready and DIP!
HOW LONG CAN HOMEMADE BROCCOLI SOUP LAST IN FRIDGE:
Once broccoli soup is cooked, let cool and cover in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
If required, freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
HOW DO YOU REHEAT SOUP?
To Reheat In Your Microwave: Cover loosely with a microwave safe lid and microwave on high heat setting for 2-3 minutes, or until hot. Stir halfway through heating time. (Please note: Microwave times may vary.)
For Stove Top: Pour soup into a pot or sauce pan. Heat, while stirring occasionally being careful not to bring to a rapid oil, until hot.
MORE SOUP RECIPES
BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP ON VIDEO
Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour (or plain flour)
- 2 cups good-quality low sodium chicken stock
- 3 cups half-and-half, (or evaporated milk or regular milk)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or more to your taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper, or more to your taste
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder (or chicken bouillon powder)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound (500 grams) broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 cups low fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Fry the onion until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Add in the garlic and cook for a further minute. Whisk in the flour and cook for a few minutes or until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour in the chicken stock and half-and-half, stirring well to combine and dissolve the flour into the liquid. Season with salt and pepper, stock powder, mustard powder and garlic powder. Give it a good mix and allow to cook and thicken for about 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add in the broccoli and carrots and gently simmer for another 20 minutes, until broccoli is completely tender. Mix in cheese and stir until just combined. Taste test and add in extra salt and/or pepper, if desired.
- Serve with bread rolls!