Creamy Garlic Butter Tuscan Salmon (Trout or Fish) is such an incredible recipe! Restaurant quality salmon in a beautiful creamy Tuscan sauce!
With the popularity of this Creamy Garlic Butter Tuscan Shrimp, a few of you guys have been asking me if non-shrimp lovers could easily transition this into a salmon recipe. THANK YOU. Because this Creamy Garlic Butter Tuscan Salmon is possibly one of the best salmon recipes we’ve EVER HAD!
Salmon in a creamy sauce filled with garlic, sun dried tomatoes, spinach and parmesan. Packed with SO MUCH FLAVOUR!
Tuscan? I know, I know. As I mentioned in this Tuscan shrimp recipe, this is not a traditional recipe form Tuscany… BUT it is a ‘traditional’ recipe — in chicken form — from the popular Olive Garden Italian Restaurant.
We tried this version with both salmon and trout, and both are just as good as each other. We also tried the same sauce with cod and burramundi. Safe to say any white fish will work just as good! For us though, salmon won hands down.
Some cooking tips:
- If wanting to cut the calorie or fat grams, use less butter or cooking oil spray to fry the garlic.
- Half and half is an American product, made from equal parts light cream and milk. Feel free to use half light cream and half 2% milk (or full fat if not worried about calories and fat counts), in place of half and half. Alternatively, use all light cream or heavy cream if you wish.
- I use sun dried tomatoes in oil, and drain them reserving about 1 teaspoon for added flavour when cooking. Feel free to use fat free sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), to save calories.
- For a gluten free option, find GLUTEN FREE Cornstarch where available
- Substitute the white wine for lemon juice if you wish. Just add 1-2 tablespoons of FRESH SQUEEZED lemon juice right at the end, after the sauce has finished cooking. Stir through and serve immediately.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Creamy Garlic Butter Tuscan Salmon (OR TROUT) is such an incredible recipe! Restaurant quality salmon in a beautiful creamy Tuscan sauce!
- 4 salmon fillets, skin off (or Trout or any white fish)
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine (OPTIONAL) -- (do not use a sweet white wine)
- 5 ounces (150 g) jarred sun dried tomato strips in oil, drained of oil
- 1 3/4 cups half and half *SEE NOTES
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, (do not include for dairy free option)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 1 tablespoons of water (optional)**
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the salmon filets (or fish if using) on both sides with salt and pepper, and sear in the hot pan, flesh-side down first, for 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Once cooked, remove from the pan and set aside.
Melt the butter in the remaining juices leftover in the pan. Add in the garlic and fry until fragrant (about one minute). Fry the onion in the butter. Pour in the white wine (if using), and allow to reduce down slightly. Add the sun dried tomatoes and fry for 1-2 minutes to release their flavours.
Reduce heat to low heat, add the half and half (or heavy cream), and bring to a gentle simmer, while stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Add in the spinach leaves and allow to wilt in the sauce, and add in the parmesan cheese. Allow sauce to simmer for a further minute until cheese melts through the sauce. (For a thicker sauce, add the milk/cornstarch mixture to the centre of the pan, and continue to simmer while quickly stirring the mixture through until the sauce thickens.)
Add the salmon back into the pan; sprinkle with the parsley, and spoon the sauce over each filet.
- Serve over pasta, rice or steamed veg.
*Half and half is an American product, made from equal parts light cream and milk. Feel free to use half light cream and half 2% milk (or full fat if not worried about calories and fat counts), in place of half and half.
Alternatively, use all light cream or heavy cream.
**For a gluten free option, find GLUTEN FREE Cornstarch where available
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.