Assorted Nutella Stuffed Baked Banana Bread Donuts Topped 3 Ways! Cream Cheese Frosting…. Warm and melted Nutella…or a coating of Cinnamon Sugar. A good way to please everyone! And I’m giving you bonus Nutella Stuffed Donut Holes. Because normal donuts isn’t enough!
The baddest (as-in-sunglass-wearing-leather-jacket-motor-cycle-riding) assortment of donuts ever.done. Period. Healthier than our deep fried amigos, baked- not fried – like an annoying infomercial – made with a mix of wholemeal | whole wheat flour and some white flour for the added epicness of donuts.
Well, Bananas were growing old and smushed. And just when I was going to make yet another banana cake – banana bread – banana blondie – banana pancakes – type thing (which you can find here), I put the brakes on, spilled some coffee in a mid-air collision with the fruit basket, and eyed my sparkling new donut pans. I was so excited to get them, and they’ve been sitting here collecting dust for the last two months. Sad, huh?
So….long story short…because we all have places to be, things to do, people to see… I turned banana bread into donuts. Nutella stuffed ones. Do you see the Nutella oozing out of that donut up there? Beautiful…isn’t it?
But then, I couldn’t decide on toppings. I know. The dilemma.
Cream Cheese frosting is a given with anything Banana….but would it work with the hint of Nutella? (Yes. The answer is a huge yes). So, I used all three of the ones I kept bouncing back and forth from-in-my-head to test them all. Warm Nutella Topping, Cream Cheese Frosting, and Cinnamon Sugar. Yeap.
And, I made some Donut Holes on the side. Just to see if they worked. Totally did.
Ohhhh Nutella. A semi-covered donut in the pan, waiting to be covered up and go into the oven, just to show you guys how’d do it.
Test one: frosted with Warm Nutella. No extra sugar, butter, cream or anything needed in this here frosting. Because Nutella can speak for itself.
You’re welcome. I figure Valentine’s Day got a whole lot holier for Cupid and St Valentine.
That Nutella is pure perfection. The donut? Like a real donut. Fluffy and soft on the inside, with the Nutella hiding in there is just heaven.
Test two: Cinnamon Sugar Banana Bread Donuts – stuffed with Nutella. Oh lord. How to choose? And believe it or not, they taste like the deep fried butt-fattening cinnamon sugar friend of theirs. (My kids aka the best critics in the world, loved these more than bakery ones.)
Well, then that’s saying something. I don’t know how…but these donuts managed to set like the real deal on the outside, with the incredible banana cake/donut flavours on the inside.
Test three: Cream Cheese Frosting. The one my heart skipped a beat for. The one this entire post is dedicated too.
Cream cheese and banana bread WITH Nutella and cinnamon?
So…for your convenience, I surveyed my family, and we all came to the conclusion that this was the best way to please everyone at the same time. They loved the assortment, which is why I’m posting them all right here – for you.
Weight Watchers: 5pp per donut (not incl. toppings as these are optional)
- ½ cup raw sugar (or your sugar of choice)
- ¼ canola oil (or melted coconut oil)
- ¼ cup reduced fat butter, (or spread of your choice, Sub with apple sauce for an even healthier option)
- 1 large egg
- 2 small-medium sized ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup wholemeal/whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup plain white flour (or light spelt or all-purpose flour)
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup Nutella, melted for 30 seconds in the microwave of over stove top until runnier than usual, divided
- ⅓ cup cinnamon sugar mix
- ⅓ cup sugar mixed with 2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon (adjust to your tastes)
- ⅓ cup reduce fat/fat free cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (or sugar of choice)
- Splash of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 176C | 350F. Grease 2x 12 hole non-stick donut pans with a thin layer of spread of choice (butter/margarine or coconut oil). Wipe over excess with a paper towel.
- Whisk together the sugar, oil, butter (or spread) and egg until light and creamy. Add in in the banana, vanilla and cinnamon and whisk again until combined..
- Add the flour(s), salt, baking soda and powder, mixing together until just combined (do not over-mix the batter).
- Fill donut pans ½ way using a teaspoon (about 1½ teaspoons of batter per donut hole). Using ⅓ cup pre-melted Nutella, pour 1 teaspoon Nutella per donut over the batter in the pans. Carefully cover each donut with remaining batter, using your fingertips if you need too, to make sure there is a secure 'lid' over the tops.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown, and set to the touch (they should spring back when pressed down). Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- While donuts are baking, prepare toppings:
- Whisk cream cheese and sugar in a bowl until thick and creamy. Mix in the vanilla (as much as you like) to suit your tastes.
- Prepare a shallow bowl with the cinnamon sugar. While the donuts are still warm, transfer four (or more/less) donuts to the cinnamon sugar mix and turn to coat evenly.
- Frost another four (or more/less) with the cream cheese frosting. And spoon the remaining Nutella over the top of the remaining donuts. Enjoy!
- To make donut holes, fill a mini muffin pan half way with batter. Spoon ½ teaspoon Nutella onto the centre, and top with about 1 teaspoon of batter, or enough to cover. To bake, follow the instructions above.
© 2015 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.