Spinach and Ricotta Grilled Cheese
Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni turned into Grilled Cheese. Yes, this is real life and happening. Right.now.
Do you ever have a craving you just need to fill before it breaks you? But you don’t have time for stuffing and baking…and waiting. Because that’s what this is. This is a Cannelloni craving — hit hard.
Only, this was better, because buttered toasted crunchy fresh bread filled with melted Parmesan and Mozzarella cheezus and all those Spinach Cannelloni flavours in less than 10 minutes beats any pasta. Hands down. And to continue beating the craving…I dipped it into pasta sauce.
This is so easy to make I nearly cried tears of joy. I mean, Cannelloni (sort of), in under 10 minutes?!
Mixing the classic Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni ingredients into a bowl just enough for two people; spreading it eagerly onto the bread and buttering both sides was way too much excitement happening in one morning.
And then listening to them sizzling in the frying pan and smelling nothing but rustic pasta aromas.
One of those so messy, but so worth it moments. I mean, melted cheese.
There’s no secret here how much I love and respect the art of melted cheese. Focaccia Three-Cheese Italian Grilled Cheese; Cheesy Pizza Pull Apart Bread; Steak Fajita Grilled Cheese; and so many more grilled cheese recipes on here. I can’t help it.
But this one went to a whole other insane place. Because dipping it into the sauce takes it to a whole other cannelloni addicts dimension.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers: 9pp per grilled cheese!
- 1 clove garlic , crushed
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese (I used reduced-fat)
- 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach , thawed
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and cracked pepper , to taste
- Dried Italian mixed herbs , to taste (Oregano and basil mix)
- 1/4 cup grated light mozzarella cheese (or fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced)
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter (light or reduced-fat spread)
- 1/2 cup of your favourite pasta sauce (Passata or Tomato Sauce for U.S readers)
- In a medium sized pan/skillet, fry the garlic in a small amount of olive oil (or cooking oil spray), until just fragrant (about 30-60 seconds) over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; add the garlic to a small bowl; set pan/skillet aside.
- Add the ricotta cheese, spinach, parmesan cheese, salt/pepper and Italian herbs to the pan-fried garlic and mix until well combined.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter. Divide the ricotta mixture in half and spread it on the un-buttered sides of two slices of bread; divide the mozzarella cheese in half and add it over the ricotta mixture; top with remaining bread - buttered side up (to create a sandwich).
- Return the pan/skillet to the stove over medium heat and place the sandwiches in the pan. Cook, turning once, until the cheese has melted and both sides are golden brown (about 3-4 minutes per side).
- Sprinkle with extra Italian herbs and serve with the pasta sauce (optional)
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.