Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats are an easy, low carb answer to your lasagna loving hearts! With the option of a quick bolognese sauce OR a slow cooker bolognese, you will love these!
These Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats have most definitely filled up my life now!
Layers of spaghetti squash, rich bolognese sauce, creamy ricotta and melted mozzarella cheese. Be still my beating heart. Since discovering spaghetti squash in our local grocery store, this stuff has been going down in this house like loco. Both plain and stuffed, we are big fans over here.
How did this go down? Well. When I make bolognese… I MAKE BOLOGNESE like I mean it. It becomes a situation where you’d think I’d be planning for an apocalypse and we’re going to starve I MAKE SO MUCH.
I had so much leftover, all the while eyeing off the spaghetti squash I’d just bought in the pantry. With all of the spaghetti squash lasagna boats flying around the internet, my curiosity peaked, and so it began.
You are going to start off roasting your squash halves using this recipe right here. Then, you’re going to fill each ‘boat’ with sauce. You can use the sauce in the recipe provided below, or if you have any leftover bolognese (you will need about 8 cups of thick bolognese sauce — not watery), you’re more than welcome to use that! OR, this Slow Cooker Bolognese recipe OR even this Ragu for a chunkier, shredded beef-type sauce work. Whatever you decide, we have you covered.
Top each with ricotta and mozzarella cheese; grill (or broil) them in the oven, and EAT.
Why do I say a thick sauce? It tastes better. That’s pretty much it. When using a thinner sauce, the sauce itself and its flavours don’t hold up as nicely as with a thick sauce. Just like lasagna, come to think of it.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats
- 4 pre-roasted spaghetti squashes halves (using this recipe)
- 8 cups of bolognese sauce (for slow cooker bolognese, use this recipe)*
For A Quick Bolognese Sauce:
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 500 grams | 1 pound lean ground minced beef (or chicken or turkey)
- 1 x 400 grams | 14 ounce bottle Passata (marinara sauce, U.S tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 beef bullion cube , crushed
- pinch of sugar (if needed)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley , divided (plus a little extra, to serve)
- 1 teaspoon each of dried oregano and basil
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Prepare and roast spaghetti squash (use this recipe). While squash is roasting, prepare sauce.
For a Slow Cooker Sauce, use this recipe.
For A Quick Sauce:
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet or pan over medium heat. Sauté the garlic until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the beef and cook, stirring frequently while breaking up the meat until fully cooked. Pour in the Passata (or marinara sauce, tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes), tomato paste, crushed bullion cube, pinch of sugar, 1 tablespoon parsley and herbs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce heat; partially cover with lid and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Mix the ricotta cheese together with the parmesan. Set aside.
- When spaghetti squash is done, scrape the flesh with a fork across the squash to separate the strands from the squash. Fill each boat with about 2 cups of meat sauce. Top each with 2-3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Return the boats back into the oven to broil or grill them on medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and malted.
- Drizzle with olive oil and top with extra parsley to serve.