Boozy Cranberry Cobbler Cake
A beautifully textured cake spiked with just the right amount of bourbon and sweetened with maple syrup to celebrate Thanksgiving with a touch of sweetness. Happy Thanksgiving to all of my U.S readers!
And of course, I couldn’t resist and had to make something for you guys, which of course, I don’t mind at all… because I get to eat this glorious dessert.
So, what is it? Well, it’s a hybrid creation. A cross between a cobbler, and a cake. A cobbler cake. Full of cranberries that ‘I just don’t knowwww what to doooo with ma’seeeelffff…’
And it’s exactly what I wanted. My gift to you…
I accidentally on purpose fell over and spiked it with some bourbon — sweetened it with maple syrup AND brown sugar for extra caramel-y fudginess — and topped it with some frozen vanilla bean yoghurt. Coz that’s how I roll on Thanksgiving…
The tartness of the cranberries, with the sweetness of the maple syrup, and the hit of bourbon….well, it was a combinational hybrid of pure ‘R’ rated joy: ‘R’ stands for RAD of course.
I have another confession to make. (I seem to do these often. I needa priest). I never in my life tried Cranberries. I know! The shame!
I was born over in the U.S, in NY City… and never tried a freaking cranberry.
Well. It was about time. And in a cake was HELLO.
And I couldn’t stop picking at them. Especially drenched in Bourbon. The ultimate of dessert recipes on this entire blog is this cake.
In less than 50 minutes: from start to finish, I had this on the table with the frozen yoghurt running all over and absorbing through the cake to make it even more Cranberry-luscious than it already was.
The first time I tried this was with whisky. I had no bourbon. It was still good, but the Bourbon takes the cake, so to speak.
The warm aromas had me feeling like breaking out into a dance. On the tables. With a disco ball. Because really, is there any.other.way.to.partay? No.
So my fellow U.S party people! Happy Thanksgiving and make-this-cake!
Boozy Cranberry Cobbler Cake
Weight Watchers: 3pp per slice!
For the Filling:
- 2½ cups cranberries (I used frozen slightly thawed, but fresh would be fine)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup maple syrup (I used sugar free)
- 4 tablespoons bourbon (more if you like it stronger!)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ cup light/low fat butter , melted; or Apple sauce
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
- 1 cup light spelt flour (or plain/all purpose)
- ½ cup brown sugar , packed
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 176c | 350f. Grease a 9-inch pie dish or a nonstick round baking pan with butter or cooking oil spray, and set aside.
- Combine all filling ingredients together in a medium sized bowl, mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, milk and sugar until combined. Whisk in the egg. Add the flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk batter until smooth and lump free.
- Fill dish/pan with cranberry mix and evenly pour the cobbler cake batter over the top.
- Bake for about 35-45 minutes, or until the cranberry juices are bubbling and the cobbler cake is golden and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving with ice cream, frozen yoghurt, etc!
- Happy Thanksgiving!