Get out your stretchy pants! If you’re looking for a delicious crispy stuffing to serve smothered in gravy this Thanksgiving, this Sausage & Herb Stuffing Recipe is it!
If you’re not stuffing your stuffing into your bird this week… then adding sausages and herbs will make it amazing on its own! And this one is FULLY STUFFED with so much flavour!
In T-minus 3 days… you’re all going to be stuffing your faces with ALL things Tasty! Turkey and Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Salads, Desserts, Bread Rolls, and as many sides as you can fit! But it was time I added this stuffing recipe to the archives, BECAUSE a classic homemade stuffing is the quintessential Thanksgiving side dish!
Soft and juicy and buttery on the inside with crispy edges, and the perfect balance of sweet from the cranberries (which are optional), and saltiness from the sausages. Ahhhh STUFFING! My favourite Thanksgiving recipe yet!
What is in this Sausage & Herb Stuffing Recipe? ALL THE GOOD THINGS!
- Pan fried sausages — I use sage pork sausages, but you can also use Italian sweet or spicy sausages
- Bread in the form of a French stick
- White wine! YES! If you’ve never tried white wine in your stuffing…try it! We reduce it down before adding it in, and the flavour is incredible! Of course, you can swap it out with chicken broth. BUT it’s SO GOOD!
- Herbs! I use Fresh Sage, Parsley and Rosemary. If you don’t like these, you can also use basil, oregano, thyme or any other herbs YOU like!
Wow your guests with this Sausage & Herb Stuffing Recipe!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Sausage & Herb Stuffing Recipe is FULLY STUFFED with so much flavour, and perfect for serving as a Thanksgiving side with gravy!
- 16 ounces | 450 grams loaf of bread (French sticks or Italian bread -- day old if possible), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound (500 grams) sage pork sausage, or sweet or spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow or brown onions, from 1 large onion or 2 small onions
- 1 cup chopped celery, from 2-3 stalks
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced (or 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic)
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine optional — (sub with 1/4 cup of broth)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 egg lightly whisked
- 3/4 cup cranberries optional
Preheat the oven to 175C | 350 degrees F.
Place the bread cubes in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake for 7-10 minutes, or until dried and toasted. Transfer the bread cubes to a very large bowl.
Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the sausages over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a fork while cooking. Add to the bread cubes.
In the same pan, melt the butter and add the onions, celery, garlic, parsley, sage, rosemary or thyme, salt and pepper. Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Add the wine (if using) and allow the wine to reduce down to half (about 4 minutes).
Take off the heat and mix in the stock to combine all of the flavours. Add the beaten egg and cranberries, and pour into the bread, mixing really well with a wooden spoon until all the liquid has been absorbed.
Pour the bread stuffing into a 9x12-inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until browned on top and hot in the middle. Serve warm.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.