Easy Apple Crumble (Apple Crisp) is foolproof! A delicious syrup with tender apples baked underneath a buttery oatmeal cookie topping.
Apple Crumble is a dessert you wouldn’t care if you ate for every meal of every day! Full of soft cinnamon spiced apples, brown sugar, and buttery crispy baked oats. The easy answer to apple pie with all of the flavour and minimal effort.
APPLE CRUMBLE OR APPLE CRISP
Most apple crumbles we’ve had in the past (or apple crisp depending on where you are in the world), are either too dry on the inside, OR too watery creating a super soggy crumb topping instead of a CRISPY topping.
A soft apple pie filling bakes in a naturally occurring syrup topped with an incredible oatmeal cookie-like crumble. Serve with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream and watch it melt all over your hot crumble.
There’s SO MUCH delicious THICK SYRUP on the INSIDE it’s crazy delicious!
HOW DO YOU MAKE APPLE CRUMBLE?
First, you’re going to slice up your apples. For a soft, tender apple filling, slice your apples thinly to ensure they cook right through. You can use a mandolin to get them perfectly thin. They become so tender and soft, melting in your mouth.
For a slightly crunchier filling, slice them thicker.
Once you’ve mixed your crumble together, sprinkle it over your apple filling and bake until the topping golden and crispy! Underneath the cookie crumble, that apple pie filling will be bubbling in its delicious syrup.
HOW DO YOU MAKE APPLE CRISP TOPPING?
Prepare your crumble topping with ingredients I KNOW you have in your kitchen cupboards:
- Quick cooking oats are the best. For a chewier topping, use rolled oats.
- Flour — plain or all purpose. You can also use whole wheat or wholemeal.
- Light brown sugar. For a stronger molasses taste you can use dark brown sugar.
- Ground cinnamon. You can also add in ground cloves and/or all spice.
- Baking powder — please don’t leave this out. This helps recreate the cookie in your topping!
- Melted butter — just as important!
Mix your crumble until the butter soaks through your dry ingredients before topping the apples.
BEST APPLES FOR APPLE CRISP
I always use red apples because we prefer the taste and sweetness. Red Delicious, Fuji, Ambrosia, Cortland or Gala apples are perfect.
However, if you prefer a more tart crisp, use Golden Delicious or Granny Smith Apples.
You could also use canned if that’s all you have on hand, but I do recommend homemade purely because you can flavour it as much as you want.
BEST APPLE CRUMBLE RECIPE
I do have a final warning. Start eating by yourself before anyone realises what you’re doing, because the whole pan WILL be gone in seconds. Just watch your portion. Save it. Hide it. Pretend there’s none left. Listennnnnn to meeee. A desperate woman that misses out on this crisp every time.
Celebrate and give three cheers to no dough making/chilling/rolling and kinda cheating on apple pie with this easy apple crumble (crisp).
CAN YOU MAKE APPLE CRISP IN ADVANCE?
Absolutely! Apple crumble is easy to prep and get a head start on it. Assemble it in your baking dish, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days before cooking.
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED OCTOBER 7, 2016.
Apple Crumble (Apple Crisp)
- 8 medium apples (or 10 small apples), peeled, cored and sliced*
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats (or rolled oats for a chewier crumb)
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup (180 g) unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Arrange the sliced apples into a 9x13-inch baking dish. Add the sugars, flour and cinnamon over the apple slices. Pour in the water and mix everything through until apples are evenly coated.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugars, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and melted butter. Mix well using a metal spoon or your fingertips, until the butter has soaked through the dry ingredients (about one minute of mixing or less). Sprinkle evenly over the apple filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 - 45 minutes, or until the crumb is golden and crisp and the apples are cooked to your liking.