Fresh, homemade basil pesto can be used as an easy marinade for grilled and roast meats OR stirred through a big bowl of pasta or zucchini noodles for a quick dinner solution! Way better than any store bought pesto, with a flavour-packed punch! Only 5 ingredients and a food processor needed.
Homemade Basil Pesto can be placed with any of your favourite savoury meals to give it a nice, fresh kick!
Many, many years ago, there once lived an extremely lazy young girl that would only buy and consume bottled pesto. Fast forward to current day, and the now older (and I’d like to think wiser), young woman is a pesto snob and would never think to buy pesto from a bottle ever again. The end.
Pesto is so unbelievably easy to make, I can guarantee you that when you try this, you too will become a pesto snob, holding your head high when passing the pesto section in the supermarket and vow to never buy store bought again. Nothing beats the COLOUR and FLAVOUR from freshly made pesto. We eat it with anything. On toast (yes, on toast!), in sandwiches, on spaghetti or zucchini noodles, and even smothered all over chicken or other meats (fish is damn good too).
Start by lightly toasting your pine nuts in a skillet or pan. If you can, really try not to skimp on this part. It enhances the flavour and tastes way better than plain old pine nuts.
Then, throw them with everything else into a food processor (except for the olive oil), and process until chopped. I use a mini food processor like this one, because I find it to works better and processes better for the amount of ingredients used in this recipe.
THEN, add your oil in a nice, thin stream until emulsified……and the most perfect basil you’ve ever seen will appear before your very eyes.
Any leftover pesto can be stored in an air tight jar and refrigerated for one week. Alternatively, freeze in a small plastic container for up to 3 months.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 1/4 cup pine nuts , lightly toasted
- 2 cups basil leaves , washed and packed
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- Heat a skillet (or pan) over medium-high heat; toast pine nuts until golden, tossing occasionally in the pan. Add the pine nuts to the bowl of your food processor along with the basil, garlic and parmesan cheese; pulse until finely chopped (scrape down the sides of the food processor if needed).
- With the processor running, gradually add the olive oil in a thin stream until the pesto comes together and is well combined. (Scrape down the sides of the food processor again, if needed). Season with salt to your taste.
Nutritional Label: Based on 2 tablespoons of pesto per serve