Creamy Pesto Shrimp Alfredo with parmesan cheese and blistered tomatoes is the shrimp recipe of your dreams!
Ready in less than 10 minutes, gluten free AND low carb! Alfredo-style Creamy Pesto Shrimp Alfredo is a winner with the whole family. Serve over zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice (OR pasta if you’re not watching your carb intake)! The sauce is EVERYTHING.
How To Make Shrimp Alfredo
Some Alfredo sauce recipes usually start with a roux, and some are based on butter/heavy cream. For the sake of keeping this recipe low carb and delicious, I went the butter/cream option, mixed with a homemade basil pesto and parmesan cheese. We added in blistered grape tomatoes to add even more flavour to the sauce, but you can leave them out if you wish!
This recipe is so easy it has only three steps to it:
- Cook shrimp
- Add sauce ingredients
With the right quantity of each ingredient, you end up with a beautiful silky creamy pesto sauce perfect for serving over anything, really.
Low carb Alfredo
For the low carb option, serve over zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice, or any steamed veggies you have on hand. You could also use Konjac noodles!
Pasta of choice is linguine and fettuccini. You can also serve with penne, spaghetti, or any other pasta you like.
How do you make shrimp Alfredo pasta?
Add 2 cups cooked pasta along with 1/4 cup of reserved pasta water into the sauce. Gently mix the sauce through until combined. Add in the shrimp and serve immediately.
What can I use instead of heavy cream for Alfredo sauce?
The recipe includes half and half, which is an American product made from equal parts light cream and milk. Substitute with half light cream and half 2% milk (or full fat if not worried about calories and fat counts). Alternatively, use all light cream or thickened cream.
Love Creamy Shrimp? Try These!
Creamy Pesto Shrimp Alfredo
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound (500 g) jumbo shrimp (or prawns), tails on or off
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces (120g) grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream* SEE NOTES
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or basil, chopped
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for a further minute until shrimp starts to change colour and garlic is fragrant.
- Reduce heat to low-medium heat. Add pesto, half & half (or heavy cream) and half of the parmesan cheese. Mix and scrape any bits off of the bottom of the pan.
- Gently simmer for a further minute or two until shrimp is cooked, the sauce thickens slightly and the cheese has melted through. Sprinkle with parsley or basil and remaining parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately over pasta, rice, steamed veg, zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice.