Rich, chocolate cake transformed into Chocolate Cake Waffles. A breakfast OR dessert recipe so decadent — without any complicated steps to getting them perfectly fluffy and crispy!
Since Mothers Day is a spoil-mum-day, Chocolate Cake Waffles make the PERFECT beginning or end to her day. Light, fluffy and a decadent treat… the entire family will love these!
The perfect crossover: fluffy Belgian waffles and rich chocolate cake marry together to create exquisite Chocolate Waffles! Incredibly easy to make from scratch with only one bowl in only 30 minutes! Crisp on the outside, tender on the inside filled with rich chocolate. Is there anything better?
Guilty pleasures with minimal effort.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE WAFFLES
You only need about 10 minutes to put these together!
- In a large bowl whisk together your dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Next, make a well in the centre and add in your wet ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry until the batter is well combined and smooth. It’s ok if your waffle batter is a bit lumpy
Preheat your waffle iron just before you start mixing your ingredients together to make sure it’s nice and hot.
Since waffle irons vary, please cook them according to manufacturers directions. We use roughly 3/4 cup of waffle batter per waffle. Yours may need less or more. Our recipe makes from 4-6 waffles.
Cakey on the inside, theses waffles are too good! Make a double batch so you have some wicked leftovers for the week. Perfectly acceptable for your chocolate cravings, serve them with fresh fruit like strawberries, caramel syrup, chocolate chips, powdered sugar, chocolate syrup, whipped cream… the list is endless.
With Mother’s Day coming up soon, I thought these Dark Chocolate Cake Waffles would be perfect. To make them extra special, drizzle them in a homemade Nutella ganache… and maybe top with a scoop of ice cream.
MORE DECADENT BREAKFAST RECIPES
- 2 cups all purpose flour, (or plain flour)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup oil (or reduced fat melted butter)
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients; add the eggs, oil (or melted butter), and milk. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry until the batter is well combined and smooth.
- Cook waffles according to manufacturers instructions.
- Serve warm with powdered sweetener or sugar and melted Nutella or chocolate.
- To make a Nutella Ganache: Melt 1/4 cup of Nutella in the microwave for 30-60 seconds until reaching a thinner consistency. Beat in 3-4 tablespoons of milk (it will look like its about to seize, but keep beating)! It will start to look glossy and smooth after about 30 seconds. You're welcome.