Creamy Tomato Chicken Drumsticks
So… a long time ago these chicken drumsticks were seared, then bathed and simmered in a creamy and rich tomato sauce. So long ago that I had to go back into my drafts archive folder to pull this out. Well, actually my daughter pulled this one out. She was all, “Mum, are you crazy? Why haven’t you posted this one?”
A tomato sauce so creamy, we love serving this over rice or quinoa! Add sliced mushrooms with broccoli pieces for added texture and flavour, and dinner is served.
Maybe one day, I’ll reshoot this and give you all the progress pics…but for now, enjoy this dish with your whole family!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 ripe tomato , diced
- 1 x 420g | 15oz can condensed tomato soup (or Passata | also know in the U.S as Tomato Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tub reduced fat or fat free cream cheese (substitute with greek yogurt for a healthier option)
- Chives to garnish
- Fry the onion and garlic in a large skillet/frying pan until fragrant and soft. Add in the chicken drumsticks and fry while turning occasionally to brown on all sides. Add the broccoli, mushrooms and tomato, and continue to cook until the broccoli just begins to change colour and the tomato softens.
- Pour in the soup; reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Add in the tomato paste, stirring to thicken the sauce. Continue simmering for a further 5 minutes, or until the chicken is soft and tender. Take off heat, stir the cream cheese (or greek yogurt) through and serve over rice or quinoa!