A quick and easy Mozzarella Chicken In Tomato Sauce made in the one skillet in under 15 minutes!
When craving a Chicken Parmigiana and no time to make it, I opt for this quick version, smothered in tomato sauce and topped with melted mozzarella cheese. If you don’t have the time to make a restaurant quality dinner but you’re craving those flavours, this recipe is for you! Mozzarella Chicken In Tomato Sauce always wins!
With this version, I skip the crumbing process — so I can’t really call this a parmigiana — but it makes for a killer lower carb and gluten free version!
The chicken breasts are rubbed with seasonings and pan fried until golden and cooked through. Then, I add some minced garlic, pour our favourite marinara sauce in to the skillet, season with basil and any seasonings you love, top them with cheese, broil (or grill) them in the oven for 2-3 minutes, and dinner is on the table in less than 15 minutes.
Serve with a salad, or leftover rice or pasta, or steamed vegetables. The choice is yours (as always)!
I mean, look at that cheese!
Watch us make it right here!
Mozzarella Chicken In Tomato Sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts , halved to make 4 fillets
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups your favourite Marinara tomato sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (adjust to your tastes)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 2-3 cups cooked pasta of choice
- Preheat the broiler/grill to a medium heat setting.
- Combine the herbs in a shallow bowl with salt and pepper and oil. Coat both sides of each chicken fillet with the oil. Heat a large heavy oven-proof skillet over high heat. Add the fillets and pan fry on each side until golden (about 3 minutes on each side).
- Add the garlic to the same pan and allow to fry until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Spoon the marinara sauce over and around the chicken. Add the Italian seasonings into the sauce and stir them through. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the mozzarella over each chicken fillet; transfer to the oven and broil / grill until the cheese has melted and the chicken is cooked through (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- Garnish with freshly chopped parmesan cheese and serve over zucchini noodles, rice, pasta, steamed vegetables, or with a salad!
- Once chicken is done, remove chicken from the pan. Pour in the pasta water and pasta of choice. Mix through until sauce slightly thickens and becomes glossy.
- Serve warm.
Quick easy and delicious! Didn’t have basil on hand so had to do without it- still great though! Will be making this again
Kelly Moran says
Yummm. Do you have a favorite marinara you can recommend?
Here are some links for you to look over for marinara sauce from other meals:https://cafedelites.com/?s=marinara. Thanks for following along with me! XO
Exactly what I was looking for. This was delicious. Took me a little longer with prep, but cooking times were right on. I turned the broiler up to high for the last minute, and the cheese browned perfectly. Thanks. I’m pretty sure this will become a regular meal here – used up some extra spaghetti sauce, and had all the other ingredients on hand. Yay!
Cheryl S says
Easy, flavorful, and big hit with my family. Thanks for sharing this recipe
Tracy Hicklin says
Made this for supper last night. It was super easy, fast and tasted wonderful! Hubby and I were both impressed (and I’m very picky, lol) and we will be adding this to our list of favorites. So many recipes I try from online sound great, but the flavor always seems to fall flat. I was thrilled wit how the herbs all went together for such an amazing flavor. Thanks so much!
That is great to hear! Thank you so much for sharing! I am so glad that you loved it! Thanks for following along with me!
Is it possible to double the recipe to get double the outcome? What do I need to double/get more of if not? Thanks.
I am wondering if I don’t have a pan safe for broiler can I transfer food to glass pan and stick in broiler? Or is that not good or safe either?
Jennifer Martin says
So easy and good. Had all ingredients. ..no store run!
Jennifer Martin says
So easy and good! All ingredients I had! No store run!
Jennifer Martin says
Easy and tasty! Thanks for sharing
Any suggestions for side dishes to go with this? I always appreciate recipes that include what to serve with it! Thanks
Pasta or rice go with this recipe 😉
I made this for my wife. She was having a hard day and I wanted to do something nice. This was very easy and delicious, and I very rarely cook. She was so happy. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Jessica Bennett says
Oh, ny gosh. That was unbelievably delicious. That’s now my favorite dish. It was easy to make, and I had to make myself stop eating it. Superb! Thank you for this recipe!
I made this for dinner tonight with spaghetti. I was so delicious. My son who is a picky eater said this was a keeper. Thanks so much for sharing.
Making this for dinner tonight (second time) It is WONDERFUL.
Very easy & tasty. Family loved it!
I’m so happy you liked it Summar!
Mae this for dinner tonight and it was WONDERFUL. So glad I tried it.
I made this for dinner tonight I was delicious.