A quick and easy Mozzarella Chicken In Tomato Sauce made in the one skillet in under 15 minutes!
When craving a Chicken Parmigiana and no time to make it, I opt for this quick version, smothered in tomato sauce and topped with melted mozzarella cheese. If you don’t have the time to make a restaurant quality dinner but you’re craving those flavours, this recipe is for you! Mozzarella Chicken In Tomato Sauce always wins!
With this version, I skip the crumbing process — so I can’t really call this a parmigiana — but it makes for a killer lower carb and gluten free version!
The chicken breasts are rubbed with seasonings and pan fried until golden and cooked through. Then, I add some minced garlic, pour our favourite marinara sauce in to the skillet, season with basil and any seasonings you love, top them with cheese, broil (or grill) them in the oven for 2-3 minutes, and dinner is on the table in less than 15 minutes.
Serve with a salad, or leftover rice or pasta, or steamed vegetables. The choice is yours (as always)!
I mean, look at that cheese!
Watch us make it right here!
Mozzarella Chicken In Tomato Sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts , halved to make 4 fillets
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups your favourite Marinara tomato sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (adjust to your tastes)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 2-3 cups cooked pasta of choice
- Preheat the broiler/grill to a medium heat setting.
- Combine the herbs in a shallow bowl with salt and pepper and oil. Coat both sides of each chicken fillet with the oil. Heat a large heavy oven-proof skillet over high heat. Add the fillets and pan fry on each side until golden (about 3 minutes on each side).
- Add the garlic to the same pan and allow to fry until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Spoon the marinara sauce over and around the chicken. Add the Italian seasonings into the sauce and stir them through. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the mozzarella over each chicken fillet; transfer to the oven and broil / grill until the cheese has melted and the chicken is cooked through (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- Garnish with freshly chopped parmesan cheese and serve over zucchini noodles, rice, pasta, steamed vegetables, or with a salad!
- Once chicken is done, remove chicken from the pan. Pour in the pasta water and pasta of choice. Mix through until sauce slightly thickens and becomes glossy.
- Serve warm.