Churro French Toast Ice Cream Sandwich
Who says you can’t have an ice cream sandwich…for breakfast? Not me. Crispy, buttery Churro french toast sandwiches with your choice of ice cream or frozen yogurt for one of the best breakfasts I think I’ve ever posted on this blog!
Who says you can’t have an ice cream sandwich…for breakfast? Not me. Crispy, buttery Churro french toast sandwiches with your choice of ice cream or frozen yogurt for one of the best breakfasts I think I’ve ever posted on this blog. In my defence…my children are on school break. And this is your cheat meal recipe of the week. And who doesn’t love dessert for breakfast recipes anyway? What about a breakfast version of a Churro Ice Cream Sandwich? What about those of us who are counting points or calories. Or those of us that can’t be bothered with donut dough, piping bags and deep frying?
Yeah. This is for us. The easy.way.out in half the time folk. And if you liked those Nutella Stuffed Churro French Toasts…then hello. You’ll love these.
But how did these happen? I don’t have a reason besides the obvious one of a mild Churro obsession. Okay. So maybe not so mild.
How did I make them? Using a French baguette. Looking at more Churro Ice Cream pictures than I cared for, I needed a round type of bread. This was my option.
Sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices to maintain that ‘churro’ shaped disc most famous on these sandwiches; dipped in an egg wash full of cinnamon and vanilla churro flavour; pan-fried in butter because, well, butter….
… and coated in cinnamon sugar. Then from here…you can choose to use your favourite ice cream flavour or frozen yogurt, depending on your dietary needs and preference (and cravings).
Sandwich those Churros together with the ice cream and watch your ice cream melt in a puddle of cinnamon sugar heaven. You’re welcome.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (or natural granulated sweetener)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ french baguette, sliced into 1cm | ½-inch rounds to make 12 slices (to serve 6)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- ¼ cup cinnamon sugar OR ¼ cup granulated sugar + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional: ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Whisk the eggs and the milk together with the sugar/sweetener, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a wide shallow bowl. Dip the bread into the egg wash, rotating quickly to soak evenly (don't soak for too long or you'll end up with soggy french toast).
- Prepare a separate shallow bowl with the remaining sugar (or sweetener) and ground cinnamon (or cinnamon sugar if using) for coating, Heat a non stick pan/skillet with ½ tablespoon of butter. When the pan is hot, fry the egg-soaked bread in batches of 4 or 5 slices on low-medium heat on each side until golden. Immediately dip each bread into the cinnamon sugar mixture to evenly coat (use tongs to avoid burning your fingers). Fry remaining batch until golden and repeat coating with remaining toasts.
- Allow toasts to cool slightly. Take one churro toast; top with a scoop of ice cream (or frozen yogurt), and place another toast on top. Gently press the top down to adhere the toast to the ice cream. Serve immediately!
© 2015 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.