Double Chocolate Covered Banana Fudge Cake
A super fudgy almost brownie-like Chocolate Banana Cake topped with Chocolate Covered Bananas for extra decadence and banana love!
Ok…so moral of this story? I don’t really know, but chocolate covered bananas and cake.
How did it start? Well, once upon a time, I had 3 ripe bananas. Like really ripe. Like, one more day and they’d need to visit the inside of my trash ripe. But ‘no,’ said I. Because bananas are expensive, and I hate throwing out food. Especially bananas. I love bananas.
So then, I thought, heeeeeyyyyyyy how ’bout a banana cake? But then, I wanted chocolate, not just cake. (I know, my thought processes give me a headache too. Please, bear with me).
So then, I wondered out loud, ‘I wonder if cocoa powder would work in a banana cake?’
Long story short….it did.
But then, I wanted a brownie too. A banana-cake-brownie-type-thing. And so then, I wondered out loud, ‘how does one make a fudgy banana brownie cake-type-thing but low in fat’?
Ahhhhhh yes, slapping myself upside the head it came to me like a bolt of electric chocolate.
But THEN I had some beautiful fresh bananas, and the pack of dark chocolate left over from the Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Covered Berries from the other weekend, and I’ve been dying to make some Chocolate Covered Bananas, because I like to play with my chocolate.
So then, I wondered if I could mix the two together to come up with something I haven’t seen before. A Double Chocolate Covered Banana Fudge Cake-type-brownie-type-cake.
And you know what? I did.
Weight Watchers: 4pp per slice including chocolate covered bananas topping!
- 3 medium-to-large very ripe bananas
- ½ cup light butter, melted (or apple sauce or coconut oil works well)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- ¾ cup (145 grams) brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour (or light spelt flour)
- ¾ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened or normal
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips of choice
- Chocolate Covered Bananas (click on link to view the recipe)
- Preheat oven to 176°C | 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment/baking paper
- Mash bananas in a large bowl. Whisk in melted butter (or apple sauce or oil if using), egg, vanilla and water. Whisk the brown sugar through until dissolved. Sift baking soda, salt, flour and cocoa powder over wet ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Fold in half the chocolate chunks/chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and top with remaining chips. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out batter-free. Cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove cake and place onto a wire rack to cool. Top with chocolate covered bananas.
© 2015 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.