Creamy Pumpkin and Spinach Soup with Crispy Bacon!
At home we call this Shrek soup, because it’s green and it’s the only way to trick my son into eating spinach. So calling all mothers! Feel free to use that name if you have my problem… I feel your pain. But this soup will make it all better, I promise!
So this one time…in band camp…a face was planted into this soup. That would be my face.
What makes this soup so unbelievable, and takes it to a whole other galactic level is the bacon. Crispy bacon pieces intermingling with pumpkin, making friends and loving each other.
This is one of my quick and easy put together meals, made all the more easier for a mum like me who seems to be constantly rushing to get dinner on the table. It’s the madness after school times. Cooking. Showers. Homework. Drinking a wine under the table. Not really, but maybe fantasying about it.
Throw it all into a pot and let the stove do the work I say. Who’s with me?
Soup in a matter of minutes! Not counting the boiling part, of course. And crispy bacon!! And a happy child! Means a very excited mother. It doesn’t take much to get me excited anymore. All it takes is a mixer thingy and a happy child, and my smile is wider than a cheshire cat.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 1 x 2kg whole kent or butternut pumpkin , washed, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 2 potatoes , peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots , peeled and chopped
- 1 onion , chopped
- salt to season
- Enough water to fill your pot (3/4 full or just covering vegetables)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock (I use Vegeta)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) low fat/light cream (I use Philadelphia Cream for Cooking)
- 300 g |10oz shortcut bacon , divided
- 4 cups baby leaf spinach , washed
- Extra cream , to serve
- Combine pumpkin, potatoes, carrots and onion in a medium - large sized pot/saucepan with just enough water to cover the vegetables and salt to season. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, and simmer until all vegetables are soft. Add stock powder, stirring, and taste. (Add more salt or stock powder to suit your tastes). Add the spinach leaves, and push them down gently into the hot water until wilted.
- In another pan, fry 3/4 of the bacon until crisp.
- When bacon is crisp and vegetables are soft, add the cream and bacon to the pot and using a stick-blender or bar mix, blend soup until smooth and lump free. Alternatively, pour ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve with a drizzle of extra cream and top with remaining bacon.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.