Roast Lemon Chicken thighs with crispy skin, seared then oven baked for tender and juicy chicken full of flavour!
Your new favourite chicken recipe is here! An easy Lemon Chicken recipe with a kick of garlic and a touch of herbs will fast become a requested chicken dinner. Simple to make with minimal ingredients and maximum flavour, this is one low carb meal the entire family will get behind!
You all know how much I love a good, juicy whole roast chicken recipe, but my absolute most favourite parts of a chook are either legs or thighs. I know, I know most people hate dark meat and for those people, we have juicy baked chicken breasts. For today, however, these thighs are the shiznit!
Chicken Thighs Or Breasts?
Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs are an inexpensive cut of chicken that won’t kill your weekly food shop! Deliciously versatile, easy to make on either stove top or oven, nothing beats crispy skin on chicken! Due to the nature of this recipe, I recommend using thighs. If you want to use chicken breasts, I’d recommend using skin-on and bone-in for ultimate flavour.
How To Make Lemon Chicken
Our lemon chicken recipe starts off seared in a pan first. Searing skin-side down in a hot skillet over medium-high heat gives the skin time to get the crispy texture we love so much, while roasting them finishes cooking them off, giving you tender, juicy meat.
Seasoned with only salt and pepper to avoid any other seasonings from burning in the hot pan, you’re going to sear your bone-in chicken thighs, UNDISTURBED, for a good 8-10 minutes — skin-side down first — to render the fat and get the skin nice and golden brown in colour.
Tips for a crispy skin
- Thoroughly pat skin dry with a paper towel. This gets rid of any excess water from freezing or refrigeration.
- Use a cast iron skillet or oven-proof stainless steel pan and heat over medium heat until hot.
- Add in a tiny amount of oil (about 2 teaspoons) and wait for it to shimmer. When it’s hot enough, add your chicken as mentioned above.
- Once skin has seared, flip and continue searing the underside for a crispy, golden meat base.
- When adding in the rest of the ingredients, add them to the base of the pan without touching the skin to keep that skin as crunchy and crispy as possible.
- If wanting to baste the skin with the liquid ingredients, it won’t turn out as crispy as it was. Yes, the flavour will be present, but the pan seared crispiness will diminish a little.
- Transfer the pan or skillet to a hot oven and roast for 15 – 20 minutes until done and cooked through to the bone.
- Baste with pan juices when serving.
Sides for Roast Chicken
- Mashed potatoes
- Wedges: Sweet Potato OR Potato
- Roast Green Beans
- Avocado Corn Tomato Salad
- Roast Carrots
- Smashed Potatoes OR Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- Roast Asparagus
- Pasta Salad
- Balsamic Chickpea Avocado Feta Salad
Looking for more chicken recipes? Try these!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Roast Lemon Chicken thighs with crispy skin pan, seared then oven baked for tender and juicy chicken full of flavour! Your new favourite chicken recipe is here! With a kick of garlic and a touch of herbs, simple to make with minimal ingredients and maximum flavour!
- 6-8 chicken thighs skin-on, bone-in, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic minced or crushed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or broth (or a dry white wine for extra flavour!)*
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, plus extra to garnish
- Lemon slices for garnish
Preheat oven to 220°C | 430°F. Thoroughly pat thighs dry with paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large oven-proof pan or skillet over medium-high heat. When pan is HOT, sear chicken skin-side down for 8-10 minutes, until crispy and golden browned. Flip and sear the underside for another 8 minutes, until the meat is golden.
Move thighs to the side and add the garlic to the pan juices. Sauté until fragrant (30 seconds). Pour in the lemon juice and stock, then add in the herbs.
Transfer chicken to hot oven and roast until completely cooked through (about 15-20 minutes).
Garnish with extra parsley; taste test and adjust salt and pepper, if needed. Serve with lemon slices.
*If using a dry white wine instead of chicken stock/broth, use a Sauv Blanc, Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.