Zucchini (Zettuccine) Carbonara – No pasta! Zettuccine…AKA Zucchini Fettuccini. Like the name I came up with? It’s another one pan recipe wonder…
Thick Zucchini ribbons with crispy bacon pieces, smothered in a classic Carbonara Sauce → Zero guilt.
Completely serious when I say this was done in 8 minutes. Yes, I timed it. And no Spiralizers needed, made with a humble little kitchen gadget that you definitely have in your kitchen drawer.
How does one make Zucchini ribbons without a Spiralizer? Like this:
Slice your Zucchini lengthways in half, then using a vegetable peeler, peel along the length of your zucchini until reaching the core. Flip and repeat on the other side. Done…
A humble little peeler makes the most perfect pasta-substituted-zucchini. And sparing the calories and carbs on these ribbons means more creamy pasta, more parmesan cheese…
…more crispy bacon (or pancetta), and no unzipping your pants with a stomach full of pasta ripping through your jeans.
To make a classic creamy Carbonara, I used two eggs and added a little cream. Now, it’s argued by top chefs that Carbonara doesn’t include cream, while others say a couple tablespoons is required. Due to this particular winner of a dinner not containing any pasta or any of the reserved boiled pasta water, I used cream. Don’t hate.
Add in the shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano and freshly grated Pecorino….
….whisk until creamy…
…and add to your pan.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 4 large Zucchini , washed and unpeeled
- 225 g | 8 ounces (5 rashers) middle bacon rashers (rind removed) or pancetta, cubed
- 2 large fresh eggs
- 1/4 cup cream (thickened or half and half)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Sea salt (to your taste ONLY if needed. The bacon or Pancetta should release enough saltiness for your sauce).
- Slice each Zucchini in half lengthways. Using a vegetable peeler, peel ribbons to the centre of the Zucchini; flip and peel again. Discard centre core or chop finely to add to the sauce.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon (or Pancetta) and sauté until golden and crisp (about 5 minutes).
- While the bacon is frying; whisk the eggs, cream and cheeses together until well-combined.
- Add the Zucchini ribbons to the pan, and continue to sauté with the bacon until just starting to soften. Reduce heat down to low (very important), and slowly pour in the the egg mixture while stirring quickly until the sauce thickens. The residual heat will cook the eggs but work quickly to prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- Season with freshly cracked black pepper, add salt to your taste (if using); divide the 'Zettuccini' into bowls and serve immediately.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.