Spinach And Ricotta Zucchini Cannelloni
Rich and creamy spinach and ricotta stuffed inside Zucchini tubes to make another low carb, guilt free and healthy dinner! Baked until the cheese is bubbling and golden…this is one dinner that’s not only easy to make, but full of flavour it’s hard to stop at 4 Cannelloni. Or 6 even.
Who says low carb-ing is boring anyway? Not me.
It’s no secret on this blog how much I love pasta. Pasta; carbs; bread; carbs; pasta…and did I mention carbs? Finding lower carb and healthier options is turning out to be pretty easy. Especially with Zucchini.
After the Creamy Sun Dried Tomato + Parmesan Chicken Zoodles exploded all over the world wide internet, it’s pretty obvious a lot of people are looking for healthier alternatives to pasta.
Well, here’s another one.
Zucchini sliced into thick and wide ribbons to create the perfect no-pasta lasagna sheet /cannelloni tube.
With a creamy spinach ricotta filling, packing a punch with cheese, garlic and rich flavour….
…..which is then spooned onto Zucchini ribbons, rolled up, and [laced into a baking dish. That’s it.
From experience, a mandolin worked better for me than the other options, but that could just be me.
Bake until the cheese is bubbling over and your kitchen has been filled with the mouthwatering aromas of Mozzarella and garlic.
And eat them straight out of the baking dish. Plates are over rated.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers: 5pp per serve (about 5-6 Cannelloni)
- 2 large and wide Zucchini , washed and unpeeled
- 1 x 400g | 14oz can crushed tomatoes (or pasta sauce of choice/or Passata)
- 500 g | 18oz frozen spinach , thawed
- 500 g | 18oz Ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed (or 2 teaspoons garlic powder)
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese , divided
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 210°C | 410°F. Prepare a shallow baking dish with half of the pasta sauce. Set aside. Using a mandolin, slice Zucchini lengthwise to create wide ribbons. Set aside.
- Place spinach in a large bowl and squeeze out any excess liquid and discard. Mix in the ricotta, eggs, garlic and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese until all ingredients are well combined. Mix through salt to taste.
- Place two zucchini ribbons on top of each other (as pictured above); spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture onto the smallest end. Roll up to form a cannelloni and place into a shallow baking dish, open end facing up. Repeat with remaining zucchini and spinach mixture. Pour the remaining sauce over the 'cannelloni,' and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbling and the zucchini is soft when tested with a fork or toothpick.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.