Chicken Pumpkin and Ricotta Lasagna
Cheesy and low in fat! The perfect quick and easy meal to throw together for a hungry family only under 10 minutes!
These are a few of my favourite things: When the cheese melts! When the cheese strings! When I’m feelin baaaad… I simply remember my favourite things…and then I don’t feeeeeeel….soooo baaaadddd…
Ooops. I sang. I couldn’t help myself. This lasagna packed a powerful punch. Or more like a slap-ina-tha-face. Because lasagnaaaahh!!
Combining pumpkin and pasta is really a no brainer for us. Really.
Double the cheese. Double the flavour! The ricotta and the mozzarella hit is crazy good in this. Kinda like restaurant quality food in your own kitchen!
And with, this pumpkin mash-up creates a beautiful creamy texture…
I only used 6 lasagna sheets for this entire pan! So…I guess we could call this a lower carb lasagna too.
As simple as ABC. Yep I’m in a singing mood. It’s the carb hit. I swear. The carbs are makin me do it. But it’s not just any carb hit. These are spelt lasagna sheets! I’m a fan! A big, ‘I need an autograph,’ fan!
If you’ve been following my insane-ness for a while now…you’ve probably noticed see how much I love quick, easy and simple. And it’s not laziness, I promise you. It’s having 3 children (plus a husband, because let’s be real here, they need us just as much as the kids do. Right?) plus other things going on that by the time I get my ass home, I neeeeed quick and simple!
So…this lasagna filled my needs. I had this in the oven in about 10 minutes. No joke. Not even kidding. And so worth the oven baking time, with that cheeeeeesy melt-y goodness. The ricotta throughout the lasagna was pure perfection. Melt in your mouth perfection.
And the chicken in this instead of beef is a really nice and lighter way to change it!
I buy freshly ground chicken breast straight from my butcher. They’re so good when you ask them to ground up some chicken breast. That way, you can be 1000% sure your getting pure lean meat! And you can taste the difference.
- 1 tablespoon garlic olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves , minced OR 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 onion , roughly chopped
- 1 carrot , roughly diced
- 4 cups pumpkin , peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 zucchini , sliced or chopped
- 1 kg | 2lbs lean ground chicken mince
- 6 - 8 large fresh basil leaves , roughly chopped or torn
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 tablespoon Vegeta or any other vegetable stock powder
- 6 wholemeal/spelt or whole grain lasagna sheets
- 1 cup (250g | 9oz tub) light ricotta cheese
- 4 cups 500g | 17oz grated light Mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 200C | 390F. Heat the oil in a large sized pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and panfry until onion is transparent (1-2 minutes).
- Add the carrots, mushrooms and zucchini, pan frying until the carrot and pumpkin have softened.
- Add the chicken, and cook stirring to break up the meat until the chicken has browned
- Stir through Basil, remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble lasagna: spray a large oven proof baking dish with nonstick spray and wipe excess over with a paper towel
- Spoon about 1 1/ 2 cups of chicken sauce around the base of the pan.
- Arrange 3 sheets on top and about 1 1/2 cups of sauce again. Spoon half the ricotta evenly over the sauce and half the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat to create another layer with the 3 remaining lasagna sheets; the remaining sauce; remaining ricotta and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and change the oven setting to grill/broil on medium heat to brown the top. Remove from oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.