This honey soy chicken stir fry with vegetables topped off with a sweet and savory sauce is the perfect easy dinner for a busy week night!
Chicken is my go-to for days when I’m trying to get dinner on the table in a hurry and this Honey Soy Chicken Stir Fry is a family favorite! With plenty of tender chicken pieces and fresh vegetables all tossed in an easy sauce. I start a pot of rice at the same time as I make my chicken, and dinner is ready in less than 30 minutes!
Chicken Stir Fry
This honey soy chicken starts with chicken breasts that are cut into 1 inch pieces. If you prefer, you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of the breasts. The chicken is seasoned and cooked to golden brown perfection before the vegetables hit the pan. I used zucchini and red bell peppers here, but other great options would be asparagus, mushrooms, bok choy, carrots or even cabbage.
The trick to browning the chicken is to make sure your pan is not over crowded. If you have too much meat in the pan, it’ll steam rather than sear. I find that sometimes it works best to brown your chicken in batches so that there’s plenty of room for the heat to circulate and get all the meat crisp and golden brown.
Honey Soy Sauce
The sauce is a simple combination of chicken broth, honey, soy sauce and fresh minced ginger. If you’re not a ginger fan, feel free to use minced garlic instead. The final touch is a sprinkling of sliced green onions. Serve this honey soy chicken over rice and you’ve got a healthy meal that the whole family will love!
Looking for more easy chicken recipes?
Be sure to check out this chicken and broccoli stir fry and honey garlic chicken stir fry!
Easy Chicken Stir Fry!
Honey Soy Chicken Stir Fry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 zucchini quartered and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken to the pan in a single layer and cook until browned. You may need to work in batches.
- Add the ginger to the chicken and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Place the chicken mixture on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the zucchini and red bell pepper to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add the chicken back to the pan with the vegetables.
- In a bowl whisk together the chicken broth, honey and soy sauce.
- In a small bowl mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water.
- Pour the chicken broth mixture over the chicken and vegetables; cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the cornstarch and bring to a boil; cook for 1 more minute or until sauce has just started to thicken.
- Sprinkle with green onions and serve.
Lovely fresh and light tasting, easy recipe with ingredients that most people have in their fridge or pantry. Quick to make.
Very easy to prepare and cook. Looks great, just like the photos. Tastes terrific!
Didn’t have zucchini so made it w carrots, brocolli, red peppers and onions. Perfect!
Delicious!! I used this recipe and loved it! Thank you
Wendy Noyes says
I saved your recipe, honey, soy, chicken awhile ago and going through my recipes I was excited to come across it, I’m not the best at organizing. My husband and I have restricted diets due to health issues so we are both looking forward to this. I will get back to you with my results. Thank
Carol R says
This sounds delicious and easy to prepare. Thanks for sharing it!