Classic low carb Vegetable Soup is versatile to suit your taste. Perfect Keto recipe or a low carb diet!
Whether you follow Weight Watchers, a Keto diet or a low carb diet, homemade vegetable soup is the perfect food to have in your refrigerator when you’re looking to enjoy a quick meal or snack.
Loaded with vibrant vegetables and a beef or chicken broth base, our Vegetable Soup soothes the soul. Make it low or high in fat depending on your dietary needs.
Vegetable soup is an easy to make go-to when losing weight. Many dieters are forever looking for something to keep them satiated in between meals, and there’s nothing like a warm bowl of soup to fill up on.
Finding all of your fresh veggies chopped and packed for you is a bonus in the prepping department.
HOW DO YOU MAKE HOMEMADE VEGETABLE SOUP?
You can follow our recipe or clean out your fridge and use whatever vegetables you have on hand.
We load our soup with cabbage, celery, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower and spinach. Carrots are optional, especially if you’re strict Keto. The greener your soup, the lower in carbs it will be. You can even make your own Bone Broth.
Substitute some of our veggies with broccoli florets, green peppers, peas, eggplant, asparagus, kale, brussels sprouts or mushrooms.
Don’t care about carbs? Feel free to add in corn, potatoes or butternut squash.
HOW DO YOU LOSE WEIGHT WITH VEGETABLE SOUP?
Vegetable soup is naturally low in carbs and calories, which makes it the perfect snack to heat up through the day and eat between meals. It helps keep you full until the next meal without adding too many calories or carbs to your daily intake.
Although it’s not a magic pill OR will not slim you down on it’s own, this soup DOES help keep you satisfied during the day before your next main meal. Healthier than reaching for a packet of chips or anything in a packet.
If you need fats in your diet, feel free to add avocado, oil (like coconut oil), or animal fats to the soup.
WHAT SEASONINGS DO YOU PUT IN VEGETABLE SOUP?
Our recipe includes herbs like parsley, thyme or cilantro. We also add in Cayenne for some heat. Vegetable soup is so versatile you can add any other seasonings you have on hand, like Italian herb blend/seasoning or Moroccan.
Other ingredients you can add for flavour:
- crushed or fire roasted tomatoes
- parmesan cheese at the end of cooking time
- chili flakes
- a splash of heavy or thickened cream
- ground cumin
- hot sauce
CAN I FREEZE VEGETABLE SOUP
The best part about vegetable soup is you can make how you want it and use it as inexpensive meal preps. Pour serving sizes into airtight freezer containers or ziplock bags, then simply thaw out and reheat when needed.
Reheat in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave or on the stove.
Vegetable Soup Low Carb Diet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 zucchini chopped
- 10 oz (300 g) fresh green beans sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 10 oz (300 g) cauliflower florets
- 4 cups chopped cabbage leaves, washed (about 1/4 of a head)
- 2 quarts (2 litres) low sodium beef stock (chicken or vegetable broth may be used)
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon powder, (chicken or vegetable may be used)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if desired -- adjust to your heat preference)
- 1 teaspoon salt to season
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups loosely packed spinach leaves washed
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Heat the olive oil in large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrots and celery. Sauté until they begin to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Then add the zucchini and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Throw in the cauliflower and cabbage leaves. Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, season with the buillion and cayenne. Taste test and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Add the spinach leaves and stir through until wilted.
- Remove from heat and add the parsley and lemon juice.
- Adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.