To make it up to you, and with Valentine’s Day fast approaching…these 52 calorie Strawberry Cheesecake Donut Holes needed to come forward and make an entrance into the world. No, it’s not a case of, “Oh, I’m gaining 20 pounds just by looking at them!” Uh-uh. They’re safe, low calorie, low fat, Weight Watchers friendly, etc, etc, thank me later.
With so many savoury recipes being posted lately, you’re all probably thinking, ‘what’s wrong with Karina?’ What happened to dessert? What happened to cookies and donuts…or more specifically, donut holes? What’s going onnnn here?
Soft, pillowy, fluffy donuts filled with sweet, sweet strawberry and creamy cheesecake filling.
With half of the worlds population on a diet, including me, the struggle is real. Those New Years resolutions are being held onto as if our lives depend on it, because THIS is the year we will FINALLY commit a million — okay…maybe like 80 — percent and stay with it. Right? *Ahem.
If we half-assed our way through January, then February is our start over month. If you’re laughing, you’re on my level. I get you. This is me…helping you keep those resolutions with treats like these.
The problem is when I start any form of eating ‘different’ (not going to say clean, low carb or low fat. I like to see it as ‘finding the balance of food and sanity’), my kids will moan and groan about the recipes. PLEASE, not another black bean brownie. We promise we’ll be good! Okay, children. Calm down.
Which explains the donut holes.
Making these was not only for you and me, but for our family’s and their sanity. These are so easy to make, almost like a ‘less calorie version’ of those Nutella Churro Donut Holes. There are two ways to make these. Using a 24-capacity mini muffin pan OR a cake pop pan. You could also use a cake pop maker if you have one, only you’ll get around 18-19 with cake pops as they’re larger than mini muffins.
If you’re going to make these, one thing to keep note of is that there’s no need to brush them with melted butter to coat them in sugar. When I tried that, the sugar ended up grouping together in a heap and cracking away from the donuts. Less calories to worry about. HURRAYYY!
Just bake, roll immediately in your sugar of choice, inject them with creamy cheesecake filling mixed with strawberry jam (or American jelly), or even strawberry topping if you prefer, and ENJOY them without regrets! A small disposable piping bag works with these using a narrow nozzle, or a small frosting tube from a cheap $2 shop or dollar store is what I use.
These Strawberry Cheesecake Donut Holes can be frozen too, in case you don’t trust yourself with a whole tray (I hear you), and thawed out when you’re ready to snack. Heat however many you need up in a microwave to warm them slightly.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers Smart Points: 2 per donut hole
- 1 cup self raising flour (or plain/all-purpose flour/s)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (white, raw or coconut sugar)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- (1/2 teaspoon baking soda if using plain or all purpose flour/s)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or canola or melted coconut oil)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or low fat/skim milk)
- 1/4 cup sugar (or mild tasting sweetener) for coating
- 1/3 cup (70g | 2 12 oz) reduced fat cream cheese (block or spreadable)
- 2 tablespoons powdered (icing) sugar
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam or jelly (or topping if you prefer)
- In a large bowl, whisk all of the dry ingredients together. Make a well in the centre and add the oil, egg, vanilla and milk. Whisk the batter until smooth and lump free.
- Spoon the batter (about 2 teaspoons) into each muffin hole, filling to to ¾ full. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until they are golden in colour and a toothpick inserted into the centre of a donut comes out clean. Allow them to cool for 5 minutes. While they're still warm, gently roll each donut hole into the sugar until evenly coated.
- While the donuts are baking, make the cheesecake filling. Combine the cream cheese together in a small bowl with the sugar. Beat until smooth and combined. Add the strawberry jam,jelly or topping and mix through slowly until creating an almost marble/swirl effect (if using jam, make sure any bigger fruit pieces are removed before using, or they will get jammed in the nozzle).
- Fill a piping bag with the cheesecake filling, and using a narrow nozzle, fill each donut with the strawberry cheesecake until they puff up and expand (not too much or the donuts will overflow).
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.