Mini Chocolate Chip Greek Yogurt Cookies that WON’T put a dent in your diet! They’re chewy. They’re soft. They’re completely addictive and easy to make. They’re only 23 calories per cookie or Weight Watchers 1 sp EACH! And there are so many of them to freeze and save for when that damn sugar craving hits.
These cookies. THESE COOKIES are the death of me!
Here I am writing to you from my 8 years seriously delayed ‘honeymoon’ and I haven’t been able to relax in my beach front apartment from excitement to share these with you. NOW. Sorry husband.
These cookies took 4 trials. FOUR. Before getting them right. I wanted Greek yogurt in my cookies. I wanted healthier cookies. I wanted to transform that Nutella Stuffed Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie into miniatures that would fit our diets without stretching our pants. For the life of me, the first three tries were like…ugh.
Note: Do not use butter in Greek yogurt cookies. Like, ever. Do yourselves a favour and follow the recipe exactly how I’ve written it. Trust. Me. Keep reading to find out why.
The first batch: I thought, “Heyyyyyy, Karina. SIMPLE! Just halve the butter and replace the other half with NON FAT GREEK YOGURT. It’s not HARD!” Ohhhhhh, but how wrong was I. Mixing the butter through the yogurt was enough to stop any normal person. It just appeared ‘off’. But, being a ‘special kind of persistent,’ I kept going. The result? Dry, cake-like texture without any chewiness or moisture. Without any of the ‘cookie’ quality I love so much.
The second batch: 1/4 of the butter; more non fat Greek yogurt; more flour = more disaster. Give up on the non fat Greek yogurt. The next batch will be better. *Ahem*
The third batch: Scrap the butter (finally), use oil: 1/2 olive oil; 1/2 FULL FAT Greek yogurt; less flour = flat, pancake-like cookies. Not good enough.
The fourth batch: JACKPOT! DING DING DING! Coconut oil! (I may have smacked myself in the head when I saw the jar practically staring at me in the face.) So…1/2 coconut oil; 1/2 FULL FAT Greek yogurt; a tiny bit more flour than the original recipe; DONE. Removing them from the oven, I heard the angels singing from up above, after possibly rolling their eyes a few times.
The one thing I love about recipe testing is all of the failed attempts. Needless to say the kids were happy. They loved all of them.
The moral of my long-winded story is: if you want cake-like cookies, feel free to sub all of the coconut oil in my recipe for FULL FAT Greek yogurt. Why full fat? Because you may not really appreciate the dry texture from using non fat yogurt.
However, by following the recipe exactly as it is, you will be pleasantly surprised. They don’t have that crispiness but they do have that distinct soft chewiness of normal cookies — it’s hard to stop at one. And you don’t really have too with Mini Chocolate Chip Greek Yogurt Cookies. Especially for 23 calories.
Mini Chocolate Chip Greek Yogurt Cookie Bites
Weight Watchers: 1sp per cookie!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil in solid state (not melted)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup caster sugar/superfine sugar *
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup full fat natural Greek yogurt**
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons plain or all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life), divided
- Sea salt flakes
- Using a hand mixer, beat together the oil and sugars until combined. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Mix in the yogurt until combined.
- Make a well in the centre of your wet mix; add the flour, salt, and soda into the centre; mix the dry ingredients together first to combine them before mixing them through the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined (do not over beat) and fold through 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips. Refrigerate until firm (minimum three hours or overnight if you can is required for the batter, as it is stickier due to the yogurt compared to normal cookie dough).
- When you're ready to bake, preheat oven to 176ºC | 350ºF.
- Scoop and roll 1/2 teaspoon of cookie dough PER COOKIE into balls and place onto a baking tray/sheet lined with baking/parchment paper. Press a few more chocolate chips over the tops of each cookie with the remaining chocolate chips (as many as you want), and bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are nice and golden in colour.
- Allow to cool onto a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes (optional)
**The Greek yogurt you use MUST be full fat. Non fat or reduced fat yogurts will alter the texture of your cookies!
***If your hands get sticky with dough, lightly wet your palms and fingertips with a small amount of water before moving onto the next cookie.