Low Carb Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie with crispy, buttery edges and a sweet and fudgy cookie dough centre!
Browned butter skillet cookie? YES! A low carb, dairy free, gluten free with a VEGAN option KETO indulgent Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie.
KETO (LOW CARB)
Providing you with indulgent low carb dessert recipes (like these Low Carb Zucchini Brownies or this chocolate mousse) has been AWESOME! Because a low carb lifestyle shouldn’t mean we can’t enjoy indulgence…right? I mean, we can’t live on salads and meat forever. We need cookies, and cakes, and cheesecakes.
I think you’ll prefer this skillet cookie instead of our Nutella Stuffed Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie. Yes. I’m serious.
HOW TO MAKE A LOW CARB (KETO) COOKIE
This cookie is made with easy to find ingredients, or perhaps ingredients you already have in your cupboards:
- Almond flour (make sure you use fine almond FLOUR — light yellow in colour — and NOT almond MEAL).
- Brown sugar substitute/sweetener
- Your preferred low carb white granulated sweetener, like Swerve or Natvia for baking. (Natural sweetener can be subbed with coconut sugar or regular white sugar if you like. You will need to recalculate nutritional macros.)
- Sugar free chocolate chips (we use Lily’s). You can also use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips for a dairy free alternative or just add in your fave chocolate chips if not following strict KETO.
For a vegan option, replace the egg with 1 flax egg
The cookie dough! It’s so good you may begin eating it out of the bowl.
Thick and creamy with the nutty flavour of rich browned butter. A slightly different cookie dough texture than my other skillet cookies… this one is pressed it down into your already brown buttered pan.
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can brown the butter in a normal pan and use a pie dish to bake the cookie.
A low carb skillet cookie. Yes, this is real life.
Low Carb Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large egg*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar substitute/sweetener (or coconut sugar if not strict KETO)
- 1/4 cup natural granulated sweetener (Swerve Granular or Natvia Baking Blend)**
- 2 cups almond flour***
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips (Lily's Dark Chocolate Premium but you can use Enjoy Life chocolate chips for a dairy free option)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Heat the butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet over high heat until bubbling. Reduce heat down to low; cover pan (optional but prevents butter spitting everywhere), and continue to cook while stirring occasionally until the butter begins to brown. (Be careful when lifting the lid off the pan as the butter may spit.) Once browned, remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- While butter is cooling, whisk together the egg and vanilla extract. Add the sugar and sweetener and whisk again until combined. Add the butter once it has cooled and mix well.
- Sift in the almond flour (press any lumps gently over the sieve to sift quicker); add the salt and half the chocolate chips; mix through gently until the batter is well combined and creamy. It will be a little thicker than cookie dough. Spoon batter into skillet; top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set on the top when pressed lightly and a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cookie comes out clean.
- Serve with No Sugar ice cream or frozen yogurt and enjoy!
If you don't have a cast iron skillet, you can brown the butter in a normal pan and use a pie dish to bake the cookie.