Easy to make Breakfast Casserole with shredded potato hash browns, sausage or bacon and mozzarella cheese! Perfect with a quick and easy hollandaise sauce.
Loaded with green bell peppers, Roma tomatoes and onions, breakfast casserole is so easy to make and perfect for the holidays! There’s nothing easier than throwing all of your ingredients in a baking dish and have the oven work its magic.
I can’t think of anything easier for a holiday breakfast or brunch than a breakfast casserole. Prepare it the night before to bake it the morning of for the easiest breakfast to feed a crowd!
The all important component in this casserole has to be the egg base. You want a creamy mixture that won’t dry out in the oven, plus a delicious veggie medley to provide flavours. To make it deliciously creamy, use milk plus a little heavy cream (thickened cream).
The beauty of this casserole is that it is so versatile you can really make it your own!
You can use bacon; a bacon/ham mixture (as we did here) OR sausages. Any sausage works well here: breakfast sausage, turkey, chicken, beef, mild Italian or pork. Or add in your favourite!
HOW TO MAKE SHREDDED POTATO HASH BROWNS
AUSSIES AND EVERYONE AROUND THE WORLD: For those of us who don’t have frozen shredded hash browns in our parts of the world, we need to make our own! See image below for a visual.
- Grate the potatoes first on the largest side of the grater.
- Soak your shredded potatoes in water for 5 minutes, then rinse in a fine mesh sieve (colander) under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- Squeeze all of the water out with a tea towel allow to air dry on a baking tray or baking sheet.
- Store in the freezer in ziplock freezer bags until ready to use in your breakfast casserole!
HOW TO MAKE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
If you don’t have frozen potato hash browns, start preparing that first as mentioned above.
Then, move on with your breakfast casserole!
1. Choose on your desired meat fillings: sausages, bacon, ham or a combination! If adding sausages and bacon, I suggest frying them up first before adding them to your egg mixture.
For a vegetarian option, you can leave out the meat.
2. Choose on your veggie fillings: We love using green bell peppers (capsicum) and seeded, ripe Roma tomatoes. You can also add in corn kernels, red bell peppers (capsicum), sliced mushrooms and diced zucchini.
3. Choose your cheese: Use your favourite combination OR go with our suggestion of white cheddar with a mozzarella topping.
Layer your potato hash brown at the base of your dish, then pour in your egg mixture with all of the fillings. Top with cheese and bake your breakfast casserole until golden and bubbling!
MAKE AHEAD BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
Assemble the breakfast casserole as instructed in the recipe, then cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. When ready to bake, let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
Serve a slice of breakfast casserole with a side of sliced avocado, extra bacon pieces and easy to make hollandaise sauce!
Looking for more easy Breakfast Recipes? Try these!
Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns, Bacon or Sausage!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound (500 g) diced bacon, chopped (or uncooked sausages, casings removed)
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (half and half or heavy cream)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or thickened cream)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to season
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar
- 28 oz (800 g) shredded hash browns, frozen
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease an 8x12-inch baking dish with nonstick oil spray.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or pan over medium heat. Add the bacon or sausage meat and cook until crispy or browned (about 8 minutes -- if using sausage, break up the meat with the tip of a wooden spoon). Add the onion and cook until soft (about 3 minutes).
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream and garlic powder in a large bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper. Mix in the bacon (or sausages) and onions, tomatoes, bell peppers and cheddar cheese.
- Add a layer of hash browns to the base of the dish. Pour the egg mixture over the hash browns. Top with the mozzarella. Bake until eggs are cooked through (about 45 to 50 minutes).
- Serve warm with an easy to make hollandaise sauce!